DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just gotten my HR20 700. As I am working through my MANY issues with it, I have received some contradictory information between what I have picked up here vs what I've heard from D*T*. If I am in Atlanta, what Satalites and transponders should I pay attention to. Is there a thread/site with a breakdown of what chanels are on each satalite and which ones are using what compression format?

Z.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
ZDawg said:
I've just gotten my HR20 700. As I am working through my MANY issues with it, I have received some contradictory information between what I have picked up here vs what I've heard from D*T*. If I am in Atlanta, what Satalites and transponders should I pay attention to. Is there a thread/site with a breakdown of what chanels are on each satalite and which ones are using what compression format?

Z.
lyngsat.com will give you what you need.

Here is some basic info:

119 has at least the following channels: 72, 76, 79 ...it also has my SD Locals

99 is MPEG-4/HD-Locals spot beamed to selected locations

103 is MPEG-4/HD-Locals spot beamed to selected locations

101 is the MAIN set of D* channels (too many to list)

110 has ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, Universal-HD

More details on lyngat.com

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my local HD, Atlanta area, is on 103 which I have at only 50% signal. Anyone else in the Atlanta area have that issue? I've had a lot of problems with my local HD and I'm betting that's one of my issues.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
ZDawg said:
my local HD, Atlanta area, is on 103 which I have at only 50% signal. Anyone else in the Atlanta area have that issue? I've had a lot of problems with my local HD and I'm betting that's one of my issues.
A 1/2 strength signal is definitely a bad thing. What issues are you experiencing exactly? With such a low signal I imagine you're getting signal breakups and audio pops.

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which include the DVR not recording shows, pixilation, and picture and sound dropping out for a few seconds. I'm on this site trying to figure out what are issues inherent to this new box and what are issues around signal strength. Just as an fyi all my other satellites are at 70-99%. I'm guessing I've got several issue here and D* has done little more than adjust my satellite and have me reset my receiver.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
ZDawg said:
Did they install new RG-6 and connectors?
Did the technician use a meter to set the azimuth?
Have your tried your old cables to see if they are any better?
Have you tried reversing the 1 & 2 cables?

- Craig

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it is a connector issue as I have 90+% on 119 and 70+% on 101 and 110. If 103 is a 'spot' signal, and I live outside of the city, I'm 50 miles out of the center of Atlanta, would that put me at the edge of the spot and cause an issue? Unless the 103 satellite is under powered our out of line from the other satellites then I shouldn't be having a signal problem. I'm baffled.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
If 103 is a 'spot' signal, and I live outside of the city, I'm 50 miles out of the center of Atlanta, would that put me at the edge of the spot and cause an issue?
It might, depending on where exactly you live and how large the spotbeam is. I look at my 99 and 103 signal levels and it's clear that the Nashville channels are coming in on the transponders in the mid to upper 90s, while I still receive two or three others in the mid-50's; I don't know what city those are aimed at but it's probably not Nashville.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
ZDawg said:
ZDawg, I'm in Sandy Springs and get 80's on my 103 transponders. Tonight I can get you the exact numbers for you if you'd like. Like these other guys have said, it sounds like you have a dish pointing problem.

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going to push the issue 'til he gets the best signal out of 103 he can get. I'd rather lose 119 and miss ESPN2HD than what I have now.

Z

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally have a good signal on 103!!! I had to get a lead tech out here before D* noticed my dish was bent. He put up a new one and I went from 50% on 103 to 85%!!!!! Now if we can just get these bugs fixed. I am now 75% - 99% on all satellites. Thanks to all who have been assisting a 'newbie'.

Z

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
ZDawg said:
I finally have a good signal on 103!!! I had to get a lead tech out here before D* noticed my dish was bent. He put up a new one and I went from 50% on 103 to 85%!!!!! Now if we can just get these bugs fixed. I am now 75% - 99% on all satellites. Thanks to all who have been assisting a 'newbie'.

Z
Not trying to be an apologist for DirecTV but I think people need to differentiate
between DirecTV and their local install company.

Each install company has their own standards and while DirecTV does hire the
mooks, it still is the install company.

·
Legend
192 Posts
wmschultz said:
Not trying to be an apologist for DirecTV but I think people need to differentiate

While I agree with you, I think D* is doing an awful job of managing their install companies and setting quality standards that they must abide by and in the end it is D*'s reputation on the line, not the local install company. If a customer gets fed up with the way the install company did the work, they are going to switch to Cable or E*, not to a different install company.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
wmschultz said:

When they come dressed wearing a DirecTV logo and uniform, their van is branded DirecTV and DirecTV hires and sends them to my house as their agent, these guys are DirecTV.

How D* wants to handle the internal finance issues with in-sourcing VS. outsourcing that is not my problem. D* hired these yahoos and they send them out as their representatives, DirecTV need to own the problems.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
Like I said, I'm not trying to let DirecTV off the hook. But I have been on the phone
with DirecTV and the CSR identified the same problem I identified but getting the
install company to do what both of us were saying was a different thing.

I did tell DirecTV I was pissed and they needed to resolve it because it was their
problem and I would cancel them if they couldn't fix their problem with their installer.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
btmoore said:
When they come dressed wearing a DirecTV logo and uniform, their van is branded DirecTV and DirecTV hires and sends them to my house as their agent, these guys are DirecTV.
Hehe - my guy showed up in an old "Town and Country Flower Shop" van with the logo rubbed out. I made NO assumptions that he represented D* :)

Of course, that was totally proven when after he left, I had to go back to the multi-switch and connect the 2nd tuner cable to my DirecTivo in the bedroom which was left hanging there. Luckily it was easy to connect because he had used only 1 screw out of 4 to attach the switch to the underside of the eave.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Hehe - my guy showed up in an old "Town and Country Flower Shop" van with the logo rubbed out. I made NO assumptions that he represented D* :)

Of course, that was totally proven when after he left, I had to go back to the multi-switch and connect the 2nd tuner cable to my DirecTivo in the bedroom which was left hanging there. Luckily it was easy to connect because he had used only 1 screw out of 4 to attach the switch to the underside of the eave.
The one thing they have down out here is the branding, they have very pretty uniforms and trucks.

I guess in Boise there might not be the demand and the flower delivery guy needs to moonlight as a Sat installer. ;)

·
Legend
111 Posts
At least the tech from D* did a better job then the Adelphia cable guys. Had six Adelphia guys show up over three months and do nothing after last years hurricane. I could see the cable blown out of the F connector on the pole because it was not compressed properly. I told the last guy that showed up exactly what the problem was. His response was "I don't do poles, there is too much voltage on power poles".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.