DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Satellite interests in Washington, D.C., expressed disappointment with a decision to allow spectrum-sharing between satellite and wireless offerings in frequencies already used by small dish services.

Late Tuesday, the Federal Communications Commission issued its decision on Multichannel Video Distribution and Data Service (MVDDS), which allows for the sharing of 12 GHz spectrum between satellite services and wireless offerings. DBS uses the 12 GHz band. While the order seeks to protect satellite services and their customers from interference, some were still concerned that the new entry would impede satellite signals.

The Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association said the decision allowing MVDDS to access the 12 GHz band doesn't reflect results of a Congressionally-mandated independent test finding spectrum-sharing will create significant interference for DBS subscribers.

"This decision is particularly difficult to understand in light of the fact that there is ample spectrum available outside the DBS band to allow a MVDDS competitor into the market without causing interference to DBS subscribers," the SBCA said in a statement.

"While we are pleased that the FCC order apparently makes an effort to protect DBS consumers, we will need to wait until the FCC order is released to determine if existing and future DBS subscribers are adequately protected," the SBCA said, adding that it "intends to continue to work to protect the interests of DBS customers."

DirecTV spokesman Bob Marsocci said the company agrees with the SBCA statement on the MVDDS matter. "It never has been about competition, It always has been about protecting our customers," he said.

Marsocci added that DirecTV supports the FCC on the auction issue. But the company hasn't yet decided whether it will participate in any bidding process. "We are considering our options on the auctions," Marsocci said.

EchoStar also responded to the FCC decision, saying it welcomes the new competition. Concerning auctions, EchoStar is in favor of putting the spectrum through a competitive bidding process "because it puts the spectrum in the hands of the people who will put it to its best use for the American public," said EchoStar spokesman Marc Lumpkin.

Lumpkin said the company will read the FCC order first before making a decision concerning its participation in any spectrum auctions.

From http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
Echostar is in favor of putting the spectrum through a competitive bidding process because it puts it in the hands of the "people who will put it to the best use":rolleyes: ...gee, i wonder who they mean by THAT...and i wonder how long it will be before we read about ANOTHER trip to the french bankers for a few billion more by E*(in their quest to foster competition, of course:lol: )

·
Icon
609 Posts
This reallllly scares me. I have read the reports of interference and I don't need another headache. The Northpoint folks want the consumers to shoulder the costs associated with the interference THEIR system would cause.

Also, this system has little chance of success IMHO. Satellite is mature and feature laden. Why would I try some unproven system which would still require an antenae on my roof anyway.

Another goverment screw-up, geez they say they want sat to succeed but keep on piling on problems for them(eg must-carry, MVDDS). I wish they could get their act straight.:confused:

·
Legend
124 Posts
Leave it to the government to sell the same thing twice.:rolleyes:

Northpoint won't get a free ride. If there isn't a usage requirement for the spectrum, expect one of the two DBS companies to buy the spectrum and sit on it.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
While I am against the Northpoint (and other similar projects), I must comment on a few of the comments above:

I have read the reports of interference and I don't need another headache.
While interference could be a problem it will be few and far between. C-band shared spectrum for years with ground based microwave telephone. Yes, there was some interference, but very rare. I had installed several hundred C-band dishes and never experienced any TI in my installations, even though c-band dishes sweep a wide potential arc of problems.

Also, this system has little chance of success IMHO. Satellite is mature and feature laden. Why would I try some unproven system which would still require an antenae on my roof anyway.
The same was said about DBS vs. Cable.

If there isn't a usage requirement for the spectrum, expect one of the two DBS companies to buy the spectrum and sit on it.
I am sure there will be milestones that must be met to avoid losing the bandwidth.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the New E* buys up a bunch and starts offering locals via this and normal DBS
Charlie had talked about using other ground frequencies for this purpose a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen in some markets. If I remember correctly he had some plans in place to deliver Denver locals by ground based frequencise at one time.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
If the merger does not go through I suspect E* and possibly D* to buy up some of this spectrum to deliver locals in some markets not on one of their birds, and or possibly for some kind of broadband service to compliment their satellite offerings. If the merger does go through I doubt that the New E* will be interested, and one of the conditions for merger approval may be that the New E* will not be allowed to bid on this spectrum. By having this spectrum available to competitors, it does provide another viable alternative to the New E* and cable and could ultimately help the DBS merger gain approval.

·
Icon
609 Posts
The same was said about DBS vs. Cable.
Yea, but DBS offered many new features that Cable didn't and still does not offer. MVDDS will be a similiar type of system offering few advantages if any.

Also while you can offer your comparisons to c-band. I will say this. DBS is a differnet animal AND ANY interference is bad. Who knows what we can expect, will it be one outage per day or several. Like I said it scares me.:eek:

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
well, the major advantage will be enough competition to keep charlie from losing his head when he sends out the first bills after the merger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.