DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread I mentioned that I had purchased an LA142a amplifier to compensate for the longer cable runs in my house and to try and overcome another problem. Surprisingly, I found that the label on the unit appears to be backwards and it only seems to pass full signal strength when it is connected in reverse of the label. I recently also got a used Acutrac22 Pro signal strength meter to use for aligning the dish. I thought I'd try to confirm the issue with the LA142a by measuring the signal strength from it in each orientation. Surprised I was that with the LA142a in line, the Accutrac will not show any signal strength, with or without a tone enabled, 13v or 18v. But, take the LA142 out of the chain and the meter reads good signal strength. Since the picture is on the screen in both cases (with or without LA142a) I know it is getting signal through, so what don't I know?

Also, I see that they recommend adjusting the dish with 13v selecting an odd transponder. Does the 18V select an even transponder? I get somewhat different signal strength between 13v and 18v, (41 attenuated with 13v and 50 attenuated with 18v). The peak elevation setting I calculated was slightly different between the two. Which one is right or does it really matter?

I like to learn the hard way...:sure:

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Don't know a lot about the AccuTrac, but I don't really think you can use amplifiers in the satellite line (or you need to use special ones). The satellite feeds communicate both ways - from dish to receiver AND from receiver to dish. I don't know if amplifiers are designed to allow signal flow both directions. That could be part of your problem.

With the amplifier in line, you probably aren't getting the "receiver-to-dish" flow, so the meter isn't registering right. The "dish-to-receiver" flow is probably just fine. Without the amplifier in line, you are getting the bi-directional flow.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
If you're getting picture without the amp, why not just leave it out?

For JLP: The Sonora LA142A is a DBS amp. There is no "backflow" other than the DC power and DC switching voltages.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
harsh said:
If you're getting picture without the amp, why not just leave it out?
That's a long story chronicalled in another thread if you are interested. (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72725). I do have a run that is over 125 feet to the far end of the house, and I'm trying to boost the signal going to the H20 location as well, to solve the recurring problem described. It was mainly an experiment to see if it would help.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
satwood said:
Also, I see that they recommend adjusting the dish with 13v selecting an odd transponder. Does the 18V select an even transponder? I get somewhat different signal strength between 13v and 18v, (41 attenuated with 13v and 50 attenuated with 18v). The peak elevation setting I calculated was slightly different between the two. Which one is right or does it really matter?

I like to learn the hard way...:sure:
Yes, 13 volts requests odd transponders with right hand circular polarization, and 18 volts requests even transponders with left hand circular polarization. 22KHz tone requests the 110/119 and absence of 22KHz (no tone) requests 101.

If you are aligning the 5-LNB dish, following the dithering instructions is more important than trying to peak on any individual transponder.

Carl

·
DBSTalk Club Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Carl. I did follow the dithering process pretty carefully. Any thoughts on why I don't get any signal reading with the LA142 in the path?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Just guessing on the LA142. It amplifies the digital signal, but the basic carrier is not going to be passed through. I think the Accutrac looks at basic carrier signal level and not the digital signal that your receiver wants.

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.