Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I am building a new house and it is basically complete, few little clean up issues and we will be moving in late October.

I have DirecTV scheduled to come out and install a new AT9 dish, bring an HR20 DVR, and connect all my existing receivers (1 HR10, and 3 SD DirecTV/TiVo DVR's). I have told them I need a multiswitch with 10 outputs at a minimum.

I have my fingers crossed everything goes fine.

I have a question though about the satellites and line of sight.

I tested my location with an old dual LNB dish someone in the area let me borrow. Had trouble getting a signal because of a tree. The builder cut the tree down for me and I was able to get 98-99 percent or so on various transponders.

Now my question is, this obviously is only the one satellite that the old dish handles.

I do have some other trees that are to the right and left of the one that was cut down.

It seems the new MPEG4 satellites are higher in the sky than the other satellites, so I would assume they would be easy enough to get, but the other satellites seem spread out to the left and right of the one that the old dish locked in on.

My question is, are they pretty much in the same vicinity in the sky? Will my test with the old dish be a decent enough test and I should be able to get the others? Or are they truly a bit of distance apart and the trees to the right or left might be an issue?

I would assume worst case I will be able to get the original satellite and the mpeg4 satellite I need for locals here in Cincinnati. If I can't get the others I would assume the only major thing I would lose out would be some HD stuff.

Any thoughts, words of advice, etc?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The new MPEG4 sats are located at 99 and 103 degrees, just 2 degrees to either side of the main 101 sat. 101 is the sat you were receiving a signal from with the dish you tested out, so most likely you'll be able to get 99 and 103 assuming the other trees you mentioned aren't directly next to the one that was cut. The other 2 sats are located at 110 and 119 degrees and would be more likely to give you more trouble if there are other tall trees in the area. 110 and 119 are also going to appear lower in the sky for your location, so if you have tall trees to the west of where you can get a signal from 101 those would be cause for concern.

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
For 110 and 119, you will need roughly 15 to 25 degrees of clearance to the west of where the 101 signal comes from. You will need 110 for many of the high def channels (other than locals).

Carl

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I used that site to check out the sun location for tomorrow and the various satellites and will try to get out there to check it out. Hopefully the following couple days are pretty close.

Does anyone know which satellite the HD locals for Cincinnati are beamed from? I checked a site out people on here refer to, but couldn't find if the HD locals were on 99 or 103.

carl6 said:
For 110 and 119, you will need roughly 15 to 25 degrees of clearance to the west of where the 101 signal comes from. You will need 110 for many of the high def channels (other than locals).

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.