DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
380 Posts
Bad link. got a message about link contains no data.

<Error>
Code:
AccessDenied
<Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>9F0D8C996DC6CEBC</RequestId><HostId>StgP005t8x6L58vnNnZYEq00MUo6sWrYVJrgralBaqc1Z5lKKOUqWZsoe5qZGsOY</HostId></Error>

Dave
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
drded said:
Bad link. got a message about link contains no data.

<Error>
Code:
AccessDenied
<Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>9F0D8C996DC6CEBC</RequestId><HostId>StgP005t8x6L58vnNnZYEq00MUo6sWrYVJrgralBaqc1Z5lKKOUqWZsoe5qZGsOY</HostId></Error>

Dave
Worked fine for me just now. Try it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,529 Posts
Rule #1. Don't buy anything from a door to door salesman.
Rule #2. See rule number 1.

Dish and Direct should crack down on these independents and not allow them to represent both providers. (if they really do)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
154 Posts
Phil T said:
Rule #1. Don't buy anything from a door to door salesman.
Rule #2. See rule number 1.

Dish and Direct should crack down on these independents and not allow them to represent both providers. (if they really do)
Shouldn't there be a rule in there somewhere about not buying Dish? :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,044 Posts
Holy Cow! It's a good thing both DIRECTV and Dish did the right thing here. Hopefully they're both also working with the local authorities. The equipment installed and tools used had to come from somewhere.

Mike
 

·
MANC
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
This part here makes it a scam, and maybe some high pressure sales.

They were telling people it was a joint program with Direct and Dish to help keep prices low.

Other than that most techs have the ability to sit down with a prospective customer and go over equipment, programing and new customer savings.
Call an 800 number, have a dealer process the order(collect a referral credit$$) and then do the install(more$$). Some of us are restricted by our employer to one company.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
"Mike Bertelson" said:
Holy Cow! It's a good thing both DIRECTV and Dish did the right thing here. Hopefully they're both also working with the local authorities. The equipment installed and tools used had to come from somewhere.

Mike
Yeah, and at least from the article they did the right thing without having to get the press involved or a fight. Though I'm sure she had to get past a first level CSR.
 

·
Fresno State Bulldog!
Joined
·
769 Posts
Just another reason why I don't even open the door for anyone selling anything door to door....except the neighbor kids selling stuff for fundraisers :)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
"chevyguy559" said:
Just another reason why I don't even open the door for anyone selling anything door to door....except the neighbor kids selling stuff for fundraisers :)
Kids still do that? I usually just get hit up by the parents, or at the grocery store during cookie season.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
88 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how the elderly people make it in todays society, they just don't have the distrust and "cyber smarts" that alot of us 50 years old and younger have today. PLEASE don't say I am putting down older folks, because I am not, I have huge empathy for them because of the incredible trickery that is used on people today thru the internet and other means. It seems like older folks are more apt to believe that these types of scammers are not out to get them, where my mind is always thinking "what is this person trying to scam me out of". And as the elderly get older and start to "slip" a little they become such easy prey, it is so cruel what humans will do to other humans for the all mighty dollar.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
directv newb said:
Sometimes I wonder how the elderly people make it in todays society, they just don't have the distrust and "cyber smarts" that alot of us 50 years old and younger have today. PLEASE don't say I am putting down older folks, because I am not, I have huge empathy for them because of the incredible trickery that is used on people today thru the internet and other means.
You've a good heart, but spare your paternalistic empathy, and reconsider some of your assumptions. While there are obviously issues among some elderly folks (and individual stories stand out and make great press), many of them are far more skeptical/smart/scam-proof (some even in the "cyber" sense) than younger folks.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
88 Posts
well, maybe your right, i don't mean to offend at all, I guess i just worry about my mom and dad as they get older and do have a sense of wanting to "protect" them from the evils that are out there, but my mom still calls me twice a day to check that i am ok, so i guess it goes both ways.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,874 Posts
It really is not valid to generalize "older people" based solely on age. My mother has fallen victim to a variety of scams over some years, however she was suffering varying levels of dementia (now with advanced alzheimers), and her judgement (or lack thereof) was not a result of age, but rather of an age related disease.

I know many a senior citizen (more senior than me, and I'm old enough to be on medicare) who is sharp as a tack and would never fall for a scam. And I know some overly trusting and gullible younger people.

Bottom line is, yes there are many a scammer out there, who will take advantage of whomever they can, regardless of age. And there are many a victim of all ages.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top