DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing part of my basement into a dedicated home theater room (with a 720p projector, 5.1 surround, etc), and I'm wondering if I should switch from cable (eg. Adelphia/Comcast to DirectTV or Dish).

To be honest, I really don't like Adelphia (now Comcast). I've always had problems with them and I'm sick of it. However, the problems are relatively minor (except for cable modem outages). Mostly though, I want the highest quality and most amount of HDTV content possible.

However, I do need to stick with Adelphia/Comcast for my cable modem because DSL isn't available in my area. *sigh*

·
Icon
701 Posts
sofakng said:
I'm finishing part of my basement into a dedicated home theater room (with a 720p projector, 5.1 surround, etc), and I'm wondering if I should switch from cable (eg. Adelphia/Comcast to DirectTV or Dish).

To be honest, I really don't like Adelphia (now Comcast). I've always had problems with them and I'm sick of it. However, the problems are relatively minor (except for cable modem outages). Mostly though, I want the highest quality and most amount of HDTV content possible.

However, I do need to stick with Adelphia/Comcast for my cable modem because DSL isn't available in my area. *sigh*
Sofa,

I can't tell you what the availability of HD channels is on Comcast. DirecTV does have an HD package although its limited, but DirecTV does have a number of RSN in HD, although in Philly that is a problem as Comcast in Philly uses a Loophole to deny both DBS providers from carrying Phillys' RSN.

Dish Networks' HD package is much larger then DirecTV's. DirecTV at the moment is superstretched for Bandwidth to the point of removing HD channels on Sundays so they can carry more NFL Sunday Ticket games in HD. In General Dish Networks PQ for HD channels is much better at the moment, this could change later next year if and when DirecTV gets a satellite up. Dish Network carries more HD, granted that alot of that extra HD content is the VOOM channels that do repeat their programing alot. I do find alot of content on the VOOM channels that I like.

DirecTV's newest MPEG4 DVR has yet to activate its OTA Tuner so if you can't get your Locals in HD via satellite DirecTV's MPEG4 DVR will NOT be able to receive them yet. Dish Network does have the Philly HD locals available via satellite though it will require TWO Dish's to receive Core Programing, as well as HD and Locals in HD. DirecTV does have Philly Locals via satellite in HD as well.

Your Local HD channels will look much better via OTA than via satellite as both providers are recompressing as well as dropping some of the resolution.

In the end if you don't want your local RSN and or can live without it, and you want MORE HD than any other provider then Dish Network is your choice. Check out the individual packages for yourself there are some channels or services that are available to ONE provider and NOT the another. It comes down to what best serves your needs.

John

·
Icon
891 Posts
I currently have both Dish Network and local cable in Central, NJ, Patriot Media.
Dish has more HD channels but no local sports channel in HD. The picture
quality between cable in Dish in HD is about the same. Dish beats cable in
picture quality for SD, but since I have had HD for 33 months, I have more or
less stopped watching SD. So the SD advantage of Dish is a non factor.

You have to look closely at Comcast's HD lineup and compare it to Dish's HD
lineup. The lineup with the channels that are important to you and you will
actually watch should be the determining factor in your decision. If Comcast
has CSN Philadelphia and you watch that channel, then you should chose
Comcast. If you do not watch sports on TV, you should decide whether you would
actually watch the Dish HD channels. HD surfing wears off pretty quickly. You
have to decide which channels are you going to watch.

For local channels, the best way to get them is OTA. Dish only offers four local
channels, NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox. If PBS, CW or MY is important to you, then
stick with Comcast. Also, the possibility of saving money, triple play, with
internet and phone should also be considered.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
BiggaAdams said:
I'm in the same boat, but I want Sunday ticket next year so I think I'm going direct.
As of last night the HR20's OTA tuners have been activated. There is a gradual roll out of the software update however starting with the west coast. By Monday a majority of subs hopefully will have it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.