DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found it interesting reading these forums and keeping up to date on D11 and now even I see D12 is listed. However, I am left with satellite questions.

How many channels does a satellite hold? I know posts keep saying that D10 is full and so no new channels until D11. Does this mean once D11 goes live and they upload all those channels people keep posting about that then we have to wait until the end of 2009 for new channels? Or are the satellites so big that it will carry DirecTV through to D12 and still leave them the option of adding more channels?

I'm still hoping for LR LIL HD but I am not holding my breath. Forunately I have met some very nice people on here who have explained how to do the OTA thing and I have ordered my AM adapter to my 21 so I can put up an antenna. However, my question is that once the LIL HDs go live, do we have to replace our satellite? Do we get new satellites everytime a new one is launched or is that why they launch them in the same "space". I know 99c is showing up for me now but if they put up D12 in a different spot could that mean I would have to replace my satellite?

I'm done rambling. :)

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
ArkieLad said:
How many channels does a satellite hold?
It all depends what is on them and how many transponders are allowed at that space. DirecTV5 at 110W only has 7 MPEG2 HD channels on 3 transponders yet DirecTV7S at 119W has dozens of SD locals, spanish and chinese programming on 8 transponders.

ArkieLad said:
Or are the satellites so big that it will carry DirecTV through to D12 and still leave them the option of adding more channels?
Removal of the MPEG2HD will open up space on 110 and 119 and most likely future SD locals might use the more efficient MPEG4 standard so with shuffling around with that D11 will free up space on other sat's

ArkieLad said:
However, my question is that once the LIL HDs go live, do we have to replace our satellite?
I am sure you mean replace your dish.

ArkieLad said:
Do we get new satellites everytime a new one is launched or is that why they launch them in the same "space". I know 99c is showing up for me now but if they put up D12 in a different spot could that mean I would have to replace my satellite?
Most likely not. direcTV doesn't have rights to any new locations afaik so most likely it will go at an existing location.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
These are very non-trivial questions. In all cases the answer is more than 1 and less than 300 (sorry, for the apparently impertinent numbers, I'll explain.)

First off, not all transponders are created equal. Yes, all the original Ku band transponders are the same bandwidth, but different satellite companies use different encoding technologies and different rates of data correction based on signal strength, orbital location, satellite age, etc. So even the seemingly equal Ku satellite transponders are not really equal.

Then you get into the new Ka band transponders. The FCC did not set standard transponder frequencies for the band. They allocated a whole range of bandwidth at each orbital slot to companies and lets the companies pick their own slicing of the bandwidth.

Thus, in the Ka bands, DIRECTV has some transponders that are 40MHz wide, 62.5MHz wide, and some that are 250MHz wide (for backhauling, not for home use.) Those last ones can carry A LOT of HD channels to broadcast centers for retransmission to homes via spotbeams, so my 300 is a bit facetious, just not as much as one might first think. :) (As is the 1.)

So, now the question becomes, what are you trying to ascertain? Perhaps we can help with that.

Cheers,
Tom

· AllStar
69 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
So, now the question becomes, what are you trying to ascertain? Perhaps we can help with that.

Cheers,
Tom
I'm trying to figure out (most likely not going to....) how many LILs D11 can support and what the limiting factor is for Direct TV. I live in DMA #83 or 84...Huntsville/Decatur and I can not get a straight answer out of any one wrt local HD and when it's coming to Direct TV. We have local SD...and frankly on a 42" LCD...it sux.

So my question boils down to is it the technology or the politics that keeps me from getting Local HD! Sorry to be frank about it..but I just had to spend $50 on an AM-21 to get local HD on my system without having to switch remotes/swap inputs....not to mention I was stuck with DVR'ing in SD for some of my shows.

Again sorry for the rant...but I just wanted an answer...but Direct TV CSRs (and one of their call centers is a stones throw from my house!) are no help...I realize they read from scripts and aren't allowed much information (relative was a CSR when it was contracted to West Corp here in H'ville) but the local TV stations won't answer me squarely either.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Ah, that is a question we can help (somewhat) with. :)

The constellation of 4 Ka satellites, S1/S2/D10/D11 can support 1500 HD LILs. There are roughly 1800 stations going HD next year, so I'm thinking there will be capacity for many DMAs after D11 is live.

The next issue becomes when will your local stations reach agreement with DIRECTV. Perhaps they already have, which would be your best case. :)

Sorry I can't give you a "it will be this date" or even a "by such and such." I sense DIRECTV is actively going to add more DMAs, hopefully yours will be one of the first in the next group.

Cheers,
Tom

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
And try not to be too hard on the CSRs. DIRECTV often has to hold that information very closely as negotiations are ongoing with many TV stations and their holding companies. The CSRs are only told just as we are given press releases.

We might see a press release soon after D11 is fully operational to the home. That sometimes happens.

Cheers,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
2,044 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
Ah, that is a question we can help (somewhat) with. :)

The constellation of 4 Ka satellites, S1/S2/D10/D11 can support 1500 HD LILs. There are roughly 1800 stations going HD next year, so I'm thinking there will be capacity for many DMAs after D11 is live.

The next issue becomes when will your local stations reach agreement with DIRECTV. Perhaps they already have, which would be your best case. :)

Sorry I can't give you a "it will be this date" or even a "by such and such." I sense DIRECTV is actively going to add more DMAs, hopefully yours will be one of the first in the next group.

Cheers,
Tom
Is the only difference between Ka and Ku the frequency?

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
DodgerKing said:
Is the only difference between Ka and Ku the frequency?
Well sorta. Ku is a singular 500MHz uplink/downlink allocation at each orbital slot. Ka has two 500Mhz uplink/downlink bands at each. We loving refer to them as Ka-hi and Ka-lo. :)

There are other differences that come into play as you really get deep into the understandings, like power, rainfade, dish size, and how all that dictates error corrections, etc. but essentially the biggie is the two vs one bands.

Cheers,
Tom

· AllStar
69 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
And try not to be too hard on the CSRs. DIRECTV often has to hold that information very closely as negotiations are ongoing with many TV stations and their holding companies. The CSRs are only told just as we are given press releases.

We might see a press release soon after D11 is fully operational to the home. That sometimes happens.

Cheers,
Tom
Oh I'm not hard on them at all. I just know what is a waste of my time...and what's not. I understand more about the DirectTV CSRs than I originally stated...see that "relative" was my WIFE!!! She no longer works for them...thank the Lord. West Corp was a horrible place to work, luckily for the workers they went Direct TV direct. But my wife got back in the medical field where she belongs.

· AllStar
69 Posts
Sixto said:
The only not so good news is that the Local Receive Facility (LRF) listing does not show a HD site for Huntsville/Decatur.

The listing has been found (in the past) to not always be totally current but it would be good news when Huntsville shows a HD LRF ...
Yes Sixto...since I've been on this site...that's been one of the bits of information I've picked up on...and have checked that site to see...It's also odd to say....that the posted number of D11 LILs do not all have HD LRFs either...so it could mean something...or nothing at all. Also depends on when D* updates the site!

· Mentor
41 Posts
Sixto said:
The only not so good news is that the Local Receive Facility (LRF) listing does not show a HD site for Huntsville/Decatur.

The listing has been found (in the past) to not always be totally current but it would be good news when Huntsville shows a HD LRF ...
Thanks Sixto!Way to burst my bubble! ;) Just teasing, our local nbc affiliate just went live with their digital signal last week. They were the last and I had hopes of getting the hds after D11 went live. But your link to LRF show no HD LRF.:nono2: :)

11,607 Posts
Pop72&9 said:
Thanks Sixto!Way to burst my bubble! ;) Just teasing, our local nbc affiliate just went live with their digital signal last week. They were the last and I had hopes of getting the hds after D11 went live. But your link to LRF show no HD LRF.:nono2: :)
Hopefully the list isn't too current. :) The good news would be when the location shows up. At least would be a good start.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.