DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what satellites do I point for in Detroit.

whats this 61.5, i have a 1000+ , and I am confused on what I shoot for?!

actualy. I think i a buddy gets his channels at 61.5 where it seems that I am pointed at 129, 119, 118 and 110.

I am soooo confused.

can i get 61.5 in Detroit, and if so , do i need it?!

e..b

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
garys said:
You haven't said what packages you have. Try this link to see what is on each location.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm
ok.. i had that..

what about Showtime witch is 9430 and also 9460.. are these both the same channels?

I found this out because he seems to get Dish HDTV Demo Channel ch 9443, and I dont.

am i missing anything. why would dish not give me that one 61.5 but my buddy did get it. (he's got 2 dish 500 dishes 1 for 61.5 and the other 2 for 110 and 119?)

thx
e..b

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
9430 is on 148 which has HBO and PPV as the only other HD channels.

You've already identified everything you're missing by not having 61.5. If you really want the Demo Channel, or have reception issues with 129, you can remove that LNB (turning your dish into a 500+) and place it on a separate dish pointed to 61.5.

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BobaBird said:
9430 is on 148 which has HBO and PPV as the only other HD channels.

You've already identified everything you're missing by not having 61.5. If you really want the Demo Channel, or have reception issues with 129, you can remove that LNB (turning your dish into a 500+) and place it on a separate dish pointed to 61.5.
ok.. well my question is, is it the Same SHOHDthat I get or a different one? and why would dish not set me up with that.. i am still confused.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
It's the same, but different.

You're welcome :)

It's a duplicate feed. The 148 version reportedly has better PQ because it gets more bandwidth (less compression).

·
RichardParker II
939 Posts
Randall DBS said:
Will 129 work here in East Tennessee with a dish 1000?
You are pretty far east. I expect that you would be better off with a second dish pointing at 61.5. Maybe someone in your neck of the woods can provide better info on this.

·
Icon
687 Posts
Randall DBS said:
Will 129 work here in East Tennessee with a dish 1000?
Works fine for me in Alabama and Georgia.
129 is a little low on the horizon so any tall trees or structures can be a problem.

·
Icon
687 Posts
Jonesborough TN.

129 has an elevation of 25.9°
61.5 has an elevation of 42.4°

110 = 38.9°

119= 33.1°

·
Legend
134 Posts
Thanks guys, if the installer peaks 61.5 I will move it to 129 cuz Im "moving" to Kansas City to get the HD channels because ours here sucks and i dont want an antenna.

·
Icon
687 Posts
Randall DBS said:
Thanks guys, if the installer peaks 61.5 I will move it to 129 cuz Im "moving" to Kansas City to get the HD channels because ours here sucks and i dont want an antenna.
10-4 on the "Move" Just be aware you are out of range of the Spot for the SD locals if they are on 110 (I didn't check) plus there is no PBS HD in KC.

Might want to "Move" to Nashville instead. ;)

I just "Moved" from Montgomery, Al. to Atlanta, GA. about 3 weeks ago.

·
Legend
134 Posts
O i know the KC standard def loclas wont work but I dont mind that I can still watch the HD feeds even if it does have the black bars. Its worth the money to me to get HD feeds. I miss the programs from KC anyway when I had them long ago.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
eatonjb said:
what satellites do I point for in Detroit.

whats this 61.5, i have a 1000+ , and I am confused on what I shoot for?!

actualy. I think i a buddy gets his channels at 61.5 where it seems that I am pointed at 129, 119, 118 and 110.

I am soooo confused.

can i get 61.5 in Detroit, and if so , do i need it?!

e..b
eatonjb

With the Dish 1000+, which you have, we get our HD locals off 118 and most of the other HD content (VOOM channels, etc) off 129. That being said, 129 is a bit low on the horizon and can be hard to get dialed in well if you have any obstructions. When that is the case, they will usually install the same large dish, minus the extra LNB for 129 (making it a Dish 500+), and install a second dish (regular Dish 500) pointed at 61.5 to pick up the HD channels (VOOM, etc.). In short, 129 and 61.5 mirror each other. Just a question of signal strength and how willing you are to have a second dish mounted on the roof. Even with the best installation, signal strength on 129 and 118 will always be a bit lower than 110 and 119, however I've not had any signal loss in the 3 months I've been back with E*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.