DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I called DirecTV and told them to send a shipping box for the HR20 -- I'm done. The girl sounded like the cancelation charge would turn me around -- wrongo -- I was quite prepared to pay to be rid of it.

The ghost in all this is TiVo -- while we might have complained that it was slow, what it did it did reliably, and with panache. I miss auto-jumpback the most, and Suggestions -- I often enjoyed the programs it found.

As I use my new TW 8300HD I say to myself "this is no TiVo". But then TiVo is out of reach for the future (V3 can't record PPV, do interactive, etc). Then as nostalgia fades I realize the the 8300HD is also no HR20 -- it is smooth and clean in operation and remarkably usable.

If HR20 gets better it will be hastened by those of us who voted with our wallets. Good luck guys, for those with no alternatives I hope that happens soon.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
If the TW = Time Warner, I wish you luck. My friend has TW's DVR (although it's SD, so it can't be the same as yours), but her's sucks. She missed the OSU/Michigan game because it decided not to record it. She definitely has more problems with hers than with my HR20. And she pays like $20 more per month that I do.

·
AllStar
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtnagel said:
If the TW = Time Warner, I wish you luck. My friend has TW's DVR (although it's SD, so it can't be the same as yours), but her's sucks. She missed the OSU/Michigan game because it decided not to record it. She definitely has more problems with hers than with my HR20. And she pays like $20 more per month that I do.
We have an active local HDTV Forum, so I was able to get a good history on the software and problems in my specific area with 8300HD. There are few reliability issues, and those that occur are acknowleged and addressed.
Just like here there are "connected" people that hang out, but you are more likely to get the details of when who contacted SA about what, and when they expect to push the fix.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Peace... Good luck, with your choice.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
The SA 8300HD may not be as elegant as TiVo or the venerable old DishPlayer, of which I had two, but it is stable as a rock.

k2ue said:
We have an active local HDTV Forum, so I was able to get a good history on the software and problems in my specific area with 8300HD....
Who is "we", and what is the link?

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I've been happy with mine.

I think you are over-reacting but that's your choice I guess.

I've had some problems, but I can deal with that OK.

I guess some people handle problems differently than others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.