DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to schedule an automatic nightly restart of a receiver? I would love to schedule a nightly 2:00 AM restart of these things until the problem gets fixed.

Its getting more and more frustrating having to do an almost daily RBR on all 3 of my receivers at different times almost everyday. In case you are wondering, I'm having to RBR due to frozen screens (sometimes audio is still on, sometimes not), remote commands not being processed and black screens.

· Mentor
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
veryoldschool said:
Not that I know of.
Three DVRs needing daily reset is extremely rare/strange.
About all you can do, if you need to do this, is to reset them before you go to bed.
Its almost daily, for instance.. .This morning 2 of them had to do it.. One of them was frozen on the black screen, the other had a frozen picture with no audio.. The third one was fine...

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
terrylmc said:
Its almost daily, for instance.. .This morning 2 of them had to do it.. One of them was frozen on the black screen, the other had a frozen picture with no audio.. The third one was fine...
Not that I'm doubting you at all, but my three DVRs haven't needed this in so long [except for last Monday's issue] I can't remember when they needed it.
What model(s) are these?

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
For three receivers to exhibit the same or similar problems I would have to look for an external problematic component common to them all. I would start with alignment but consider also, LNB, Multi-switch(if used)cables and possibly your line voltage.

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
davring said:
For three receivers to exhibit the same or similar problems I would have to look for an external problematic component common to them all. I would start with alignment but consider also, LNB, Multi-switch(if used)cables and possibly your line voltage.
Bingo.

And if somehow that's not the problem, I'd be posting what each of your 3 receivers typically is doing before it freezes --- For example what channel are they usually tuned to before it happens, do you use standby mode at night, do you usually do a lot of recording during the night, and does this ever happen while your actually watching it or only after (how many) hours of non-activity.

Ohh, and how long has this problem been going on AND how long ago was each piece of your entire setup installed?

· Mentor
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supervolcano said:
Bingo.

And if somehow that's not the problem, I'd be posting what each of your 3 receivers typically is doing before it freezes --- For example what channel are they usually tuned to before it happens, do you use standby mode at night, do you usually do a lot of recording during the night, and does this ever happen while your actually watching it or only after (how many) hours of non-activity.

Ohh, and how long has this problem been going on AND how long ago was each piece of your entire setup installed?
2 are HR20's, one HR21. The HR20's have been around since they were released. Its various, the latest freeze was on NBC during the morning. It happened at 7:41, I know this because the video that was frozen was from the sunday morning today show (I think) and had the time on it.

The receivers are never in standby, all 3 are in an A/V rack and have been since installation. No, we don't record anything overnight.. The last recording is probably letterman or leno.

It usually is after hours of non remote activity.

The HR20's have been around since they were released, the HR21 replaced an R15 about 6 months ago.

This problem has been around for a few months now...

Thanks for the help. I'll check the voltage also.

· Hall Of Fame
1,183 Posts
FWIW, I have an HR21-100 that constantly (daily, sometimes more, sometimes less) locked up/froze, and I found that if I turned it "off" (put it in standby) when turning off the display, this behavior stopped. It was as if it sometimes had an issue when when connected via HDMI to a display that wasn't on. I have an HR21-200 that doesn't mind being left on. The HR21-100 has had odd behavior since day one, but turning it "off" with the display has at least reduced the freezing issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.