DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up this unit, about 3 weeks ago from Best Buy, there was a screw rattling around. By looking through the many breather holes, I found it, and put it in a place where I was sure it would not touch anything, and ruin the unit. The HR20 has worked great, and have had no problems. My technical savy tells me to open the box and find out where the screw is supposed to be, and put it in its location, but then there is the warenty sticker that is on the back. If I tear this, and then in the future, my box blows up and DirecTV is entiled to send me a new one, until they find out the seal was broken.

It is not a matter of not knowing what to do. I know I could find out where the screw should be and replace it - but should I?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Mikey T.
Wilson, NC

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Don't worry about it.

The HR20 I cracked open for the review, had one screw that was lose.
It happens... So long as you where able to "position it" somewhere where it is not touching anything.

I would worry about it.

·
Icon
764 Posts
mtalhelm said:
When I picked up this unit, about 3 weeks ago from Best Buy, there was a screw rattling around. By looking through the many breather holes, I found it, and put it in a place where I was sure it would not touch anything, and ruin the unit. The HR20 has worked great, and have had no problems. My technical savy tells me to open the box and find out where the screw is supposed to be, and put it in its location, but then there is the warenty sticker that is on the back. If I tear this, and then in the future, my box blows up and DirecTV is entiled to send me a new one, until they find out the seal was broken.

It is not a matter of not knowing what to do. I know I could find out where the screw should be and replace it - but should I?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Mikey T.
Wilson, NC
I guess the one caveat I would have, yes its fine if you have it in there somwehre away from the electtronics, but if you or your wife pick it up someday to dust underneath it etc, it could slip onto the circuitry. Even then it may not short anything out, but it also may.

I personally would call them and get it put on your record that it is that way and maybe get authorization to break the seal and fix it? Anyway, just a thought. As a retired tech, I am very leery of loose screws (besides the ones in my head :D ) Seen them cause too many nightmares.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Don't worry about it.

The HR20 I cracked open for the review, had one screw that was lose.
It happens... So long as you where able to "position it" somewhere where it is not touching anything.

I would worry about it.
So Earl's HR20 has one screw loose and has behaved perfectly. The OP's HR20 has a screw loose and behaves properly.

CLEARLY we should all open our HR20s and remove a screw (but leave it in the corner of the box). Clearly, that's the final bug fix. How could D* be so stupid as to overlook this bug! Our HR20 needs a screw loose to work![/sarcasm]

·
DBSTalk Club Member
118 Posts
I had a loose screw in mine too. I used a flat-head screwdriver and stuck it in one of the vent holes on the bottom and twisted the screwdriver to make the hole wider. I was able to get the screw out through the larger hole.

Mine also had a broken SATA power cable which I also had to fix, this time by taking it apart. If I hadn't taken the last one off of Best Buy's shelf, I would have just swapped it for a new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.