DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Legend
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, things were going along well with Dish. I just upgraded to a 622 receiver and was enjoying HD on my new HD set. Then today while checking my checking account balance I notice that they have taken $300 from my account! Infuriated, I give them a call.

When asked what the charge was for, they tell me they never received my old receiver even though I sent it to them back in September. I even checked the UPS number and it showed they received the receiver a while back. Thanks to their taking the money from my checking account, I've probably bounced a number of checks. :mad:

This isn't the first time I've had billing problems with them guys. I paid the $199 receiver upgrade fee over the phone but they billed me another $199 the next two months. Each time I had to call and have them remove the fee.

While I love the picture and 622 receiver, I don't think I'll continue with Dish after my contract is up.

·
Legend
178 Posts
This does not apply just to Dish. I would never let a company automatically suck a monthly fee from my bank account. Just for this very same reason. With Dish I always make a one time payment from my checking acoount which is NOT saved in their computers.

·
Legend
162 Posts
DirecTV did the same thing to me when I had to replace a defective R15. They claimed they never got it, and automatically docked my checking account for I think $300. I let them do auto-debit because that was part of the deal on getting my HR10-250 for $100 way back when.

Anyway, I had a tracking number for the package, and after I notified them, they gave me my money back very quickly, and they even paid for my bank's overdraft charges that occured because they took out more than they should've. So it's not just Dish that does this.

·
Mentor
66 Posts
Todd H said:
The thing is I never authorized them to auto-debit my account ever!!!!! I pay my bill each month the old fashioned way.
Then how did they know your bank account number and bank routing number? Does it say in some fine print in one of your contracts they have the right to do this? They have to have some sort of authorization or they are guilty of fraud.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
icmoney said:
Then how did they know your bank account number and bank routing number? Does it say in some fine print in one of your contracts they have the right to do this? They have to have some sort of authorization or they are guilty of fraud.
I can't speak to whether or not he agreed to authorize such a transaction... but any person to whom you write a check has your bank account number and routing information because it is printed on the check itself.

Since he says he pays "the old fashioned way" which is incidentally how I pay my Dish bill... then they get a new copy of his bank account info each month!

I can't speak to the authorized or not part, though, since I don't know if he did or didn't inadvertantly agree to such a withdrawal... but them having his info is pretty much a no-brainer.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,722 Posts
minnow said:
This does not apply just to Dish. I would never let a company automatically suck a monthly fee from my bank account. Just for this very same reason.
Neither would I - THAT'S why I use CC auto-pay. At least if they suck something out incorrectly, at least I have not actually PAID them the money yet, not to mention most CC companies will let you NOT pay any amounts that you dispute. ;)

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Todd H said:
Well, things were going along well with Dish. I just upgraded to a 622 receiver and was enjoying HD on my new HD set. Then today while checking my checking account balance I notice that they have taken $300 from my account! Infuriated, I give them a call.

When asked what the charge was for, they tell me they never received my old receiver even though I sent it to them back in September. I even checked the UPS number and it showed they received the receiver a while back. Thanks to their taking the money from my checking account, I've probably bounced a number of checks. :mad:

This isn't the first time I've had billing problems with them guys. I paid the $199 receiver upgrade fee over the phone but they billed me another $199 the next two months. Each time I had to call and have them remove the fee.

While I love the picture and 622 receiver, I don't think I'll continue with Dish after my contract is up.
Yep. DISH loves to do that. I recently had to return my 508 because the hard drive went bad. I received the replacement 508 and sent the broken one back in the same box and packing material. They received it but claimed that there was a dent in the cabinet which caused the problem. That was absolute bull! The 508 was always safely in my cabinet with no dents.

Luckily, they don't have my credit card or bank account number on file so the $199 charge simply showed up on my bill. I disputed the charge and threatened to disconnect my service. All they offered me was to take half off the $199 charge.

Word to the wise. Whenever you need to return a receiver, keep an eye on your account using the the DISH web site. You never know what they might try to pull.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Wow, the admin of this site gets the shaft from Dish. Damn, this does not speak well for the CS of Dish. I would think they would keep their customers happy since there are so many competition.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
JimFunk said:
Wow, the admin of this site gets the shaft from Dish. Damn, this does not speak well for the CS of Dish. I would think they would keep their customers happy since there are so many competition.
I deliberately didn't tell them who I was to see what would happen. I was also hoping that I would be able to take care of it without pulling any "strings".

With that said though, when I was on the phone with them, they really did try to make good by offering free programming and such. The CSR's were polite and patient.

·
Legend
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris Blount said:
I deliberately didn't tell them who I was to see what would happen. I was also hoping that I would be able to take care of it without pulling any "strings".

With that said though, when I was on the phone with them, they really did try to make good by offering free programming and such. The CSR's were polite and patient.
The first CSR was neither polite nor patient. When I asked her who was going to pay the service fees for the bounced checks she flatly stated there's no way Dish would ever pay for those. She seemed irritated that I even called. The second CSR was much nicer but shill refused to reimburse me for any service fees I might have to pay.

Luckily, no checks bounced as a result. My wife got paid today which took care of any outstanding checks. I'm still disappointed in Dish's customer support, so much so that there's no way I'll continue with them after my contract is up. If they had just added the $300 to my bill, then maybe it would have been a different story. But to deduct $300 from my checking account without my permission is unforgivable.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,267 Posts
Todd H said:
But to deduct $300 from my checking account without my permission is unforgivable.
Not just unforgivable...it would be criminal. Under no circumstances can anyone present an electronic check debit to a bank without prior authorization. Another reason I'd bet you did authorize it at some point. I doubt Dish makes it a practice of copying customers checks so they could illegally debit accounts.

·
Legend
230 Posts
Todd H said:

Have they offered you any compensation or apology, program credits etc? What have you done, besides saying they screwed you, to get credited properly?

·
Godfather
256 Posts
Todd H said:
They're putting the $300 back into my account, but didn't offer me anything to make up for the mistake.
They fix the problem but you want something for the mistake? That's comprable to getting overcharged when you buy something at the store and expecting a $50 gift certificate.... How many are going to do that?

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
It was a domino effect ... their error caused the customer a loss. Saying oops and correcting their error is only part of the solution. Covering the loss would be a good thing to do.

If I got overcharged at a store and it causes me to overdraw my account I'd be looking for them to pay the fees.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
Yep... Not satellite related... but years ago I had a company to which I was making monthly payments to pay off a purchase, and they submitted a check of mine twice (2nd time was a photocopy). It bounced for insufficient funds, which is how I found out about it.

A quick conversation with my bank and they saw what I saw that the check # had cleared a month earlier, and this was a resubmission of the same check... I called the company who completely denied any knowledge of the problem since they showed my account paid current and no late payments.

Well, a month later and I get contacted by the company and they are suddenly saying I missed a payment and added it to my next bill. They also "forgot" my previous call wherein I asked what was going on.

Since I knew I was good, and I had all my cancelled checks and statements... I paid the balance off in full (minus their double-charge) and told the lady on the phone that I would love it if she took me to court for not paying that remaining amount because then I could produce my bank records and then we would be asking why they were commiting fraud by resubmitting an already cashed check.

I never heard boo from them again... and I promptly cancelled that credit account after paying it off.

Can't say this is the experience the poster here had with Dish... but I know from personal experience that such a thing can happen... and your best friend is keeping good payment records for yourself (or in this poster's case the record he had of the returned receiver being accepted).

·
Godfather
256 Posts
James Long said:
It was a domino effect ... their error caused the customer a loss. Saying oops and correcting their error is only part of the solution. Covering the loss would be a good thing to do.

If I got overcharged at a store and it causes me to overdraw my account I'd be looking for them to pay the fees.
Touche. But in defense of business, doing the "good" or "nice" thing generally tends to cost. It might frustrate the customer if you don't, but usually if you just fix the error the customer will stay. It makes better business sense to fix the error, apologize for making it and then moving on, not trying to change the customer's opinion after they've already decided they've been wronged. That $50-100 you save, is better spent on the customer you KNOW will leave if you don't rectify a situation or spend some funds.

...Or wasted on the ones faking it threatening to quit to get a free DVR. ...Oops, did I say that out loud?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.