Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I currently have a Pioneer audio receiver, 622, and Pioneer Elite Pro 510HD TV. It was purchased prior to DVI, so I route HDTV signals via component connection and SDTV thru S-video. I switch this via my stereo receiver.

The TV is dying and needs to be replaced. When I connect from the 622's HDTV digital connection to the HDMI connection of the new TV, will the picture be as good as it gets whether the signal is SD or HD? Do the newer TVs deal with the change from SD to HD and change the screen accordingly?

Thanks

·
Legend
221 Posts
I may be wrong because have never watched a SD channel on my 622 but I think the 622 upscale and outputs SD channels at 1080i (or selected output resolution) windowboxed. I don't believe that the 622 can output at native format (unless that is the format selected). Having said that HDMI can carry all TV standards but not all TV's will accept them but most have no problem switching between 480 (SD) and 720/1080 (HD).

·
Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answer. I'm curious why you've never watched SD content on your 622, since the majority of channels are SD.

I'm looking at the new Sony Bravia 46 or 52" and it appears to automatically adjust to provide "best" picture.

·
Legend
221 Posts
lakebum431 said:
How have you never watched a SD channel on your 622? Are you serious?
I only watch HD, HD-DVD's (blu-ray next), and some DVD's (I own over 600 but am spoiled by HD-DVD). I don't have any SD channels programed into my lists nor do I watch them. I don't even own a TV (single and no kids) and only have a HD projection system. Don't watch network programs and only use the networks for sports or specials (in HD only).

·
Godfather
292 Posts
William said:
I only watch HD, HD-DVD's (blu-ray next), and some DVD's (I own over 600 but am spoiled by HD-DVD). I don't have any SD channels programed into my lists nor do I watch them. I don't even own a TV (single and no kids) and only have a HD projection system. Don't watch network programs and only use the networks for sports or specials (in HD only).
So when a commercial comes on you change the channel? If not, you've seen SD on your system.;)

·
Godfather
292 Posts
valvestud said:
Hello,

I currently have a Pioneer audio receiver, 622, and Pioneer Elite Pro 510HD TV. It was purchased prior to DVI, so I route HDTV signals via component connection and SDTV thru S-video. I switch this via my stereo receiver.

The TV is dying and needs to be replaced. When I connect from the 622's HDTV digital connection to the HDMI connection of the new TV, will the picture be as good as it gets whether the signal is SD or HD? Do the newer TVs deal with the change from SD to HD and change the screen accordingly?

Thanks
When you get your new TV, hook up the 622 via HDMI, set the 622 to output everything at 1080i or 720p (whatever your TV's native resolution is), and your good to go.

·
Legend
221 Posts
bruin95 said:
So when a commercial comes on you change the channel? If not, you've seen SD on your system.;)
Actually I hit the skip button ;) because I almost never watch live. If sports I always try to start a game at least 30 minuets before I watch it. I do watch some HD commercials though.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.