DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2 Posts
I think my situation, though similar in many ways to others posting here, is a little different in that I DO use one monitor per HD DVR...

I've been a DTV customer for well over 10 years. 3 different technicians have been in my home over the last 2 years, one most recently in November when I setup the whole house recording. The technician was aware that I had 1 sd tv and 1 hd tv and two hd dvrs. I have been able to record programming on both machines and watch them on either tv until the 'upgrade'.

When I contacted customer service/technical support I was told by both the cus service and tech support staff that there was no way to watch the sd tv without downgrading the hd dvr it was attached to to sd, which also downgrades the recordings. I told them, very calmly mind you, that this was not acceptable and would they please escalate me to a manager so I could lodge my complaint.

The supervisor, not manager, I was connected to had a chip on his shoulder from the moment he said 'how can I help you' which had more of a tone of 'how can I make you dry up and blow away' than anything else. And I was given the standard company line... it's our equipment and we can do anything we want to with it.

I was taken aback at the level of customer disservice and explained that as a software developer if I changed a client's software and it degraded their equipment's performance, even if I owned the network hardware it was deployed on, I'd be fired at least and probably sued. His condescending remark was that he didn't know what kind of software development I did but DTV's is different and I couldn't possibly understand the complexities of their systems and besides, I should upgrade my equipment for the 21st century.
I didn't bother asking him if he lived in the same economy the rest of us do, or telliing him I've been designing and developing both hardware and software systems for over 30 years, or try to point out the contradictions and arrogance in his arguments, but I did manage to swallow my outrage and simply said "I get it, as far as your company is concerned the customer is always wrong, have a nice day"

... ok hadda get that out... thanks

·
2 Posts
Thank you so much you two... I'll try that tomorrow morning. I was JUST about to surf thru costco and fry's electronics to find the cheepest hd tv I could find... so far the only casualties are the missed season premiere of The Firm (because I didn't recognize the little TEENY red x on the record icon in the todo list) and an argument with my wife about what we were going to watch next :)

thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.