DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Been searching the internet, but this looks like the place to find my answer.

Background info, single tv direct HD TV installation about 6 months ago (HD dish, RG6 cable) Worked great with the HD/dvr receiver.

I tried to hook up a SD receiver (with it's card) from another direct tv account today to the above mentioned installation (The SD receiver worked 10 minutes earlier worked at its original installation which is a two tv installation, one TV is HD receiver with RG6 cableing, the other is this SD receiver with non rg6 cabling), but it would only say searching for signal (BTW the SD receiver is an old legacy hughes receiver).

Whats up here? Shouldn't it work? Does the SD receiver not work with RG6? Thats the only difference I can figure out....

Thanks,
Nate

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you elaborate alittle more? I couldn't find any sat setup options..Also I don't think there is any switch, it is a direct line from the dish to the receiver.

No signal on any transponders too btw.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Always Searching
1,938 Posts
DirtyMikeandtheBoys said:
Hey all,

Been searching the internet, but this looks like the place to find my answer.

Background info, single tv direct HD TV installation about 6 months ago (HD dish, RG6 cable) Worked great with the HD/dvr receiver.

I tried to hook up a SD receiver (with it's card) from another direct tv account today to the above mentioned installation (The SD receiver worked 10 minutes earlier worked at its original installation which is a two tv installation, one TV is HD receiver with RG6 cableing, the other is this SD receiver with non rg6 cabling), but it would only say searching for signal (BTW the SD receiver is an old legacy hughes receiver).

Whats up here? Shouldn't it work? Does the SD receiver not work with RG6? Thats the only difference I can figure out....

Thanks,
Nate
If your setup is 6 mo old w/ an HD receiver then you likely have a SWM. Legacy Hughes receiver will not work with SWM.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
DirtyMikeandtheBoys said:
Could you elaborate alittle more? I couldn't find any sat setup options..Also I don't think there is any switch, it is a direct line from the dish to the receiver.

No signal on any transponders too btw.

Thanks!

Mike
Hopefully this will be a bit more helpful.

Odds are that your HD installation is a SWiM setup and the older SD receiver is not SWiM compatible. If it is a sony, hughes, etc or a D10/11 it will not work on your setup. You need a D12, R16 or higher, H20 or higher, HR20 or higher, or HR34. Anything else will not work.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have disconnected the SWM module, so its just the dish, connected right to the receiver. (Its and old SD hughes SD receiver with no DVR) Just one cable, there is a splitter on the wall outside, but one side has nothing on it, and the other side is connected to the line that goes right to the receiver.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,881 Posts
The "SWM Module" you refer to is actually the power supply for the dish. The SWM technology is built into the LNB assembly. That dish/LNB will not work with that receiver.

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
Despite all the technical help offered here, are you aware that "adding" a receiver that is active on someone else's account to your installation is a violation of DirecTV's terms of service agreement?

In addition, DirecTV no longer activates (or reactivates) legacy Hughes receivers except on the original account it was activated on so even if you buy it you can't add it (legally) to your account/installation.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
ThomasM said:
Despite all the technical help offered here, are you aware that "adding" a receiver that is active on someone else's account to your installation is a violation of DirecTV's terms of service agreement?

In addition, DirecTV no longer activates (or reactivates) legacy Hughes receivers except on the original account it was activated on so even if you buy it you can't add it (legally) to your account/installation.
Not necessarily true. You can have 2 separate accounts that are controlled by one installation. Often happens at some apartment complexes. If a person was to buy a used receiver, as long as it has a receiver id number and wasn't LEASED on the prior account, a replacement access card IS needed.

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
beforesixbeers said:
Not necessarily true. You can have 2 separate accounts that are controlled by one installation. Often happens at some apartment complexes. If a person was to buy a used receiver, as long as it has a receiver id number and wasn't LEASED on the prior account, a replacement access card IS needed.
OK so what's the "receiver ID number" on your legacy Hughes receiver?

Oops, only "DirecTV Branded" receivers have a receiver ID number which is why DirecTV no longer activates receivers that don't have one UNLESS it was active previously on the SAME account.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
sounds like you would need a LNB3 upgrade to power a swim8 mod
this would run the hd/hddvr off the swim ports and the HNS off a legacy port

or just ask for a D12 std receiver, because it will run on current system

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.