DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of these today, Seagate Freeagent Pro External Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM USB2.0/1394/ESATA; Can anyone give me directions for hooking up to a HR20-700. How much extra HD and SD Hours will I get with this. Only paid 50.00 for it.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
Unplug the HR20-->plug the eSATA cable into the eSATA drive and the HR20-->plug the power to the eSATA drive in-->once it starts up plug the HR20 back in and it will start up and be good to go.

With the internal drive on the HR20 you can record about 200 hours SD/50 hours MPEG4 HD/30 hours MPEG2 HD.

Replacing the internal drive with the eSATA drive you can record about 400 hours SD/100 hours MPEG4 HD/60 hours MPEG2 HD.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
114 Posts
jeffloby said:
I bought one of these today, Seagate Freeagent Pro External Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM USB2.0/1394/ESATA; Can anyone give me directions for hooking up to a HR20-700. How much extra HD and SD Hours will I get with this. Only paid 50.00 for it.
question? i thought a 750 gb and above would work better? would like to get one but not sure which one to get..any help is appreciated....regards
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
bills said:
question? i thought a 750 gb and above would work better? would like to get one but not sure which one to get..any help is appreciated....regards
for every 250gb you add another "times" of space..
500=2x
750=3x....
 

· Legend
Joined
·
148 Posts
After a few issues with heat problems (I had the drive inside my A/V cabinet) the system is working fine. It's great to have so much available recording time. I think it's hardly worth the effort to add 500GB, or for that matter, 750GB when 1TB only costs a little more.
One question: If, at some point I have to replace the HR20, can the esata HDD be used with another DVR (I know I won't be able to access the programs from the previous DVR)? Do I have to do any thing after making such a change, or is it a simple "plug and play"?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jksellman said:
After a few issues with heat problems (I had the drive inside my A/V cabinet) the system is working fine. It's great to have so much available recording time. I think it's hardly worth the effort to add 500GB, or for that matter, 750GB when 1TB only costs a little more.
One question: If, at some point I have to replace the HR20, can the esata HDD be used with another DVR (I know I won't be able to access the programs from the previous DVR)? Do I have to do any thing after making such a change, or is it a simple "plug and play"?
I just paid 50.00 for it. I didn't realize it was harder to plug in a 500GB than a 1TB external drive.:D. I agree but for this price I couldn't pass on it.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What types of esata cable do I need to connect this product to a HR20-700? male to male, female to male, etc. Thanks
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top