Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...

Shouldn't there be a "try the Search feature" Sticky somewhere? In all the forums I frequent, there is usually a nice "Search before you ask" Sticky so that the forums doesn't get riddled with the same questions over and over and over again,
I just saw a new thread started asking about Dual Buffers!!! Yet, if you look 3 threads down, there is the Dual Buffers Poll Thread - good grief.
I know alot of noobs are around, I was one at one time, and had to learn how useful the Search feature is.
But I think I a nice little "Try the Search button" Sticky should be on most of the threads, ecspecially the the Q&A threads.
Just my $.02...

·
Banned
686 Posts
i am willing to wager that the sticky in those forums has little to no effect.

the people unwilling to search before posting a question are the same ones unwilling to read before posting a question.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
In the 6+ years I have been around these types of forums...

You can have the Search function be the DEFAULT page... and it wouldn't matter. In is just the general nature of first time forum users, to ask their question.

Plus unless you really know what the search terms are.... searches are only so so effective.

It is the nature of the beast... the same questions will get asked over and over again.

Just need to take them in stride

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
In the 6+ years I have been around these types of forums...

You can have the Search function be the DEFAULT page... and it wouldn't matter. In is just the general nature of first time forum users, to ask their question.

Plus unless you really know what the search terms are.... searches are only so so effective.

It is the nature of the beast... the same questions will get asked over and over again.

Just need to take them in stride
Agree. No matter how many stickies we put up, someone will always ask a question contained in one of the stickies. The good thing is that many more people actually do a search rather than asking the questions.

If someone asks a question that has been asked before, the worst thing we can do is answer with "Do a search". That turns a lot of people off to the forum. Just answer the question or offer a link to where the question has been answered.

Try to be patient and courteous. I know it's hard at times, but if we all pitch in, it won't be so bad.

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting points guys...
Thanks for the feedback.
I guess the mods/admins have to be uber patient... :)

What do you think about a Sticky that cover the Top 5 most overly asked questions, or something
along those lines? Like for the HR20
Dual Buffers, OTA, Dish type, etc
maybe something like that would help some???

thanks fellas

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
I also saw the same questions come up over and over again. Plus so many complaints went back to installation problems that were preventable if they just had known what to do!

Before I had my HR-20 installed I compiled every tip or trick I could find anywhere into a one-page document. I went on to publish these on this forum as the HR-20 Installation Tips.

There were also so many complaints about features and using the HR-20. Often the complaint was asking for a feature that already existed!

That is why I did the HR-20 Tips & Tricks.

I am working on a TiVo User's HR-20 Survival Guide. I want to have something to help a TiVo user make the switch to the HR-20. It was a steep learning curve for many.

Take care,

- Craig

·
Legend
228 Posts
Speaking of lists - would there be any benefits of having a "current bugs" list which, as updated with 'fixed dates' over time, would catalog the current state as well as progress made to-date?

Doesn't need to be fancy: I.E.:
1.) Audio-related
a.)
b.)
c.)
2.) UI-related
a.) Searching for Sat message, while replaying previously recorded content
b.)
c.)
3.) General
a.) Intermittent freezes
b.) Stops recording & deletes when signal lost
c.)
ETC . . . .

As more of these devices get back into the supply chain, and more & more subscribers come on board to DBSTalk, there might be some value in sharing where we've been & where we currently are.

Just a thought.

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
qlanus said:
Speaking of lists - would there be any benefits of having a "current bugs" list which, as updated with 'fixed dates' over time, would catalog the current state as well as progress made to-date?

Doesn't need to be fancy: I.E.:
1.) Audio-related
a.)
b.)
c.)
2.) UI-related
a.) Searching for Sat message, while replaying previously recorded content
b.)
c.)
3.) General
a.) Intermittent freezes
b.) Stops recording & deletes when signal lost
c.)
ETC . . . .

As more of these devices get back into the supply chain, and more & more subscribers come on board to DBSTalk, there might be some value in sharing where we've been & where we currently are.

Just a thought.
Great idea qlanus. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I thought this thread had died, and I didn't an email about new posts here...
I think something like you are describing is a great idea, at least all the top 5 or 10 common issues
Want to give it a go? You've got most of the form already started. ;)

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMHO I think we should figure something out to help people. Those who are asking these questions over and over, and those of us that it drives crazy. :)
I just saw a freshly posted question about dual buffers... go figure.
So I decided I would do a quick search for "dual buffer" here are the results:
http://www.dbstalk.com/search.php?searchid=1346622
I had them sorted by "posts" and not threads, usually maked it easier, and it took a total of about 5 seconds.
In this world of Google, Ask.com, Yahoo, etc. I don't think it's too much to ask to have a Sticky that encourages users to use the SEARCH feature, it is very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.