DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some comments and observations about things I'd noticed on DirecTV with my new 3D TV. I tried searching the topic first and failed because the search operation would not let me use a term with fewer than three letters. (A search for "3-D" didn't catch anything.) I'll search the hardway (scanning the relevant content and HD/DTV forums), but this could have been a lot easier -- and I don't like posting cold on a topic without first looking for older postings on the same topic.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
The 3 character minimum is actually pretty standard nowadays to prevent certain flooding of the site search by bots, etc. I think David has considered using a 3rd party search engine such as Sphinx, but hasn't fully decided yet. You'd be surprised just how much of a forum's load is created by the search feature and sections that build off of it such as the "New Content" tab...

I understand though, I've been bitten by the 3 character limit several times at other sites as well.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Stewart Vernon said:
One workaround you might want to try...

Instead of searching for 3D... try searching for "3D" (with the quotes included).
Haha, that's pretty clever Stewart! I'd have never thought that it would have counted the quote characters...but it does.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Brandon and Stewart -- You've nailed it. That works for me: "3D" as a search term.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
You're welcome... I actually didn't know about the 2-character limit until I saw this thread... but I'm used to adding quotes on multiple words when I want not just the words but the exact sequence of those words... so I wondered if the quotes were counted as characters before being discarded for the actual search. Sure enough, after trying the 2-character version that gives the error, I tried with quotes and got results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.