DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting some occasional searching for sat 2 signal messages on both by HR20 & H20. I called Dtv and they said it may be a problem with cables, etc... I have run through and checked everything, even ran a entire new cable to my H20 because it had a corroded end. My standard def Tv in the bedroom works just fine. My question is could this be a problem with either the multiswitch or the b-band converters that I could fix myself. I really do not want to mes with the service department again if possible. Thanks for any help.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
jchav74 said:
Been getting some occasional searching for sat 2 signal messages on both by HR20 & H20. I called Dtv and they said it may be a problem with cables, etc... I have run through and checked everything, even ran a entire new cable to my H20 because it had a corroded end. My standard def Tv in the bedroom works just fine. My question is could this be a problem with either the multiswitch or the b-band converters that I could fix myself. I really do not want to mes with the service department again if possible. Thanks for any help.
get a small magnet. see if it sticks to the center wire if it does you have cable that does not work so well with HD

HD normally likes RG6 Solid Copper wire and you may have RG6 Copper Clad Steel wire

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had the HD eqiupment for about a year now and never had any major issues until recnetly. That is why I was wondering if it may be the equipment (i.e. multiswitch, converters). I am not sure if the new cable that I ran is copper or copper clad.

8 Posts
I added HD to my service last month. I have gone through two hr20-100 that had searching for signal/low signal strength on sat in 2. I've had three tech visits and countless phone calls over the matter. during the last tech visit all the cables,bbc and lnb was replaced. finally I received a hr21-100. now I still have a lower signal on sat 2, but the channels and sound don't drop out. I'm not sure what is going on but I think it has something to do with the receivers and/or firmware.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
jchav74 said:
So, is it just a cable problem or could the other items be an issue?
Without looking/inspecting the whole thing, it's hard to say.
A connector could be loose, or dirty.
"I'd need to" start at the dish and check every connection to the receiver. If you think it's the multi-switch, then either using another port on it or jumpering [by-passing] it is a step to test. Removing the BBC, or swapping it with another and then see if the problem moved with it. Swapping cables is another step and see if it changes tuners.
There are just too many things that it "could be" to know over the forum what it "exactly" is.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Are the channels on which you're receiving "771...on Sat In 2" messages all HD channels?

· Icon
673 Posts
System was working for a year and all of a sudden its gone bad.............. Cable has nothing to do with it. Tell Directv to give you new boxes. Constant software updates might have done it for you. If new receiver doesnt help then you need a service calls to replace LNB, switch, b-bands etc.
For starters switch cables on hd dvr places and see if there any difference.

· Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I'm glad you're not troubleshooting my system.
Loose, corroded cables can be a problem after a year.
Just a guess, but I'm fairly sure he was saying that type of cable (solid copper/copper clad steel) has nothing to do with it because it's been working for over a year.

Truth of the matter is, CCS works just fine if your system is installed per Directv specs (max 120-125' of cable from dish to receiver). The problem is that Directv and the HSPs are wanting techs to run cable longer than ever before (for free, but that's a discussion for a different day). Sometimes 3 to 4 times longer than what the system was designed for.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Example 1: Things come really "loose" when the copper-clad steel center conductor in an F connector completely rusts away due to moisture intrusion.

Example 2: A loose F connector cap can oxidize to the point that the DC signal switching voltage becomes intermittent or is reduced to the point where the LNB doesn't operate properly, quite often losing the 13V odds, but not the 18V evens, which with nearly 50 % more potential can bridge the corrosion, at least for awhile.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
K4SMX said:
Example 1: Things come really "loose" when the copper-clad steel center conductor in an F connector completely rusts away due to moisture intrusion.

Example 2: A loose F connector cap can oxidize to the point that the DC signal switching voltage becomes intermittent or is reduced to the point where the LNB doesn't operate properly, quite often losing the 13V odds, but not the 18V evens, which with nearly 50 % more potential can bridge the corrosion, at least for awhile.
And these are just the DC aspect, long before the RF comes into play.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Right. Strange as it may seem, but possibly a lesson in the difference between ~1gHz and ~2gHz RF: in example 1 above, the 101's were still showing decent signals, while the Ka's were all but gone. The center conductor just crumbled away to grit when the F connector was removed for inspection. I never bothered to check the 110's and 119's, so maybe it was the 22kHz tone that wasn't passing. In any event, you can lose your Ka's, but not your 101's, due to nothing more than a bad connector.

· Icon
673 Posts
That would be loose corroded F-connectors, not cable. Cable by itself cannot go bad unless somebody steps on it, drives a car over it or simply tucks it under the carpet where nail strip can cut through. Other situations may include animals chewing on the cable. If nobody touches that cable it wont go bad period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.