DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Legend
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the EF update I have been getting the "searching for signal (771)" when I go to an HD channels (local and Comcast Sports) and now it doesn't go away after a couple of seconds (previously it would go away after a second or two). I did a reset and that worked for a while then it started occuring more when I went from a non HD channel to a HD channel.

The work around I use is I go to ESPN HD and then go to the local channel that I wanted to watch.

Hopefully this will be corrected soon.

·
Godfather
317 Posts
Same here.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Same thing here. I've done a reset and an unplug and start over. No help. I can't watch anything between channel 70-79. I've previously had a tech out three times for the "searching for signal...." message. When I called this morning they gave me a $5 a month HD credit for six months and have scheduled another service call with either a "senior tech" or a "supervisor". If that doesn't fix the problem they said that they may replace the box.

My network HD's are coming in just fine. I guess the fact that other people are having the same problem puts me into the misery loves company club. The D* rep that I talked to admitted that they came out with this box too soon and that a majority of the calls that they get are HR20 related. She even transferred me to their new "HR20 tech department".

·
AllStar
78 Posts
Same here I get it the most when I watch fox sports (653) will not go away. some times a reset works some times recording on a different channel to force the use of both tuners works. most of the time I just have to switch inputs and watch the H10. It does not last more than a hour or two.
What a pain in the ass.

·
Legend
155 Posts
dixoncider said:
Same here I get it the most when I watch fox sports (653) will not go away. some times a reset works some times recording on a different channel to force the use of both tuners works. most of the time I just have to switch inputs and watch the H10. It does not last more than a hour or two.
What a pain in the ass.
I too see this (and I saw it on version EB). If I change the channel and change back it goes away.

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Same here!!!!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
While I have yet to see the 771 message on this release under normal use, I did have it happen under all other prior versions of the software and I can make it happen under 0xef. This could be an oddity with my configuration, but since all of you are seeing the 771 message I thought you might be interested.

Here is the script that can force my box to display a 771 message

-------------------------

I have been able to develop this script that allows me to create a 771 error message with about 80% or more consistency.

I have tested this with the following stations: HBOHD, SHOHD and MSNBC, each one will typically, but not all the time, come back with a 771 error message on HBO and SHO this will alternate between a 771 and every so often a 721 message will pop up. This may work with other stations but I have not tested it.

1. Start a recording (by hitting the R button) on any station but the one you want to test. On my last test of this I was recording G4, if you want to do exactly what I did make sure you change to G4 (354)

2. change to station 70, 71 or 346

3. Hit the (active) button

4. select weather

5. soon as your weather pops up use your down arrows and select done

6. hit the exit button

On my system I am guessing ~80% of the time I will get a 1...771 error message maybe some green macro blocking with some left over data from the interactive screen and if it is tuned to HBOHD or SHOHD no macro blocking and I may get a quick flash of 721 channel not purchased eventually it ending with a 721 message or eventuality tuning in to the programming. Once this happens I may have change the station and change back 1 or more times and then it will tune back in and I will no longer have problems.

FYI there have been a few times when this the that script worked as expected but I would say less than 20%.

This script was developed and tested on 0xeb, I don't know if I would of seen the same thing under prior versions. Under 0xeb I have only see the 771 error through executing this script, under the prior software it would pop up randomly when trying to record maybe 4 or 5 times over a 2 week cycle. I was always able to change the channel and go back again to clear the 771.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
I have the same problem. It is extremely annoying. Switching channels only makes the message go away for a few minutes. Eventually the screen saver kicks in and then I have to switch channels again in order to get the video to come through. It appears to only happen on the mpeg4 channels.
Every morning I have to watch Philly channel 6 news in HD with that stupid 771 message on the screen.

·
Godfather
314 Posts
Same here, mine says searching for signal on sat 2 everytime. Weird thing is, that's always the tuner I'm watching and it looks fine. I know because if I unhook the input from sat 2, the picture instantly freezes. Once I hook it back up, the message is gone.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I seem to get the message only on local channel 7 here. If I flip to another channel and back it goes away.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Score023 said:
Does the EF update fix this issue?
It improves apon it,but it doesn't fix it.

But 0xF6 (which has come out today), also has worked on improving it...
Only time will tell if it has been resolved or not.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Improvement is very good, I have had this issue for a while now. Thanks Sir Earl, hopefully this new release will help resolve my 771 issue. The current firmware still experiences intermittent issues with the 771 error, though it is not as prevelant as before.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Same here.

I have to switch to the HD channel, switch to some SD channel, try HD channel again, still doing it, switch to an SD channel, back to HD channel I want to watch, etc.. The message eventually goes away.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
glennb said:
Same here.

I have to switch to the HD channel, switch to some SD channel, try HD channel again, still doing it, switch to an SD channel, back to HD channel I want to watch, etc.. The message eventually goes away.
I do that too, but my problem is that I get the searching for satellite message on top of a black screen. At this point I welcome the searching for .... message on the channel I'm trying to watch. About five minutes ago I tried to navigate from a HD black screen channel to a regular SD channel. No dice. Everything is black. I'm waiting for this D*$& machine to reset itself after I did the ole unplug on it.

The funny thing about this is that I was actually p*ssed that they rescheduled me three times to bring this box out. If only I had known.........:nono2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.