DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
As you can see, I am fairly new to this list, and have been an HR20 users for a couple of weeks now. I have spent hours looking through posts on this site and anyplace else I can think of, but I am still getting the "Searching for Signal" error message after a few hours of use. I can be watching recorded shows and switching back to live TV, etc. I have not noticed any specific steps which causes the signal to be lost or need to be searched for again. It just seems that after a few hours of consistent use, and BAM - searching for signal.

I know there have been many, many, many posts regarding this issue, and I have tried to read all of them. However, I have never found any posts that say anything really conclusive regarding this issue.

Regarding the wiring, etc. I've had multiple HD receivers working before the HR20 and even the HR20 works fine, for a while. And this has been consistent with the wiring changes I've attempted - new powered switch, new RG6 cables, etc.

So my main question(s) to you all is, am I missing something here? Am I suppose to be waiting for the next software date in hopes of that correcting the issue, or should I be calling for a new box because of a bad tuner? Or do I just live with the multiple resets? What is the majorly accepted recommendation of how to deal with this issue? :confused:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
:icon_bb:
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,332 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

Is the new powered switch on of the broadband compatible ones that can handle the whole 2.4ghz range?

And you do have the dish locked down tight so it isn't swinging in the breeze? (Just kidding.) :)

I have had similar problems when I used an incompatible switch arrangement even during the 3lnb days. I had to use two switches in parallel with powerpass splitters rather than stacking the two switches.

Is your switch someplace cool and not wet?

Good luck,
Tom
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

The new switch is the only one I could find at BB, it is a Terk BMS-58 5x8 Integrated multi-switch. And it appears the Input Frequency Range is 950-2150 MHz. Should it be in excess of 2400 MHz? And it is installed in my junction box in my basement, definitely not wet.

My dish should be locked down just fine :) I get 95+% signal strength all of the time other than when it is searching for signal. And then after a reset it is right back at 95+%.

Any other comments based on this info?

Thanks again!
 

·
Legend in his own mind...
Joined
·
324 Posts
Did D* come out and do an install when you got your HR20, or did you do it yourself?

The multiswitch you listed isn't Ka-compatible I don't think, but that may or may not affect things.

Which dish do you have?
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what dish I have. D* did the 3 LNB dish install last fall when I moved into a new house. And all of that worked fine with 4 HD receivers. Then I purchased the HR20 and replaced one of the H10 receivers myself. Then I discovered 2 satellite inputs were required, and removed another receiver that was connected to a different offline DVR. So I had two of the former satellite inputs going directly to the HR20 without any switch before. Since I was still getting the error message, I bought the powered switch to see if that would help, and it did for a while, but I'm still getting the "searching for signal" error message after a few hours of using the HR20.

Why would the switch or LNB be an issue if it works fine for a few hours and then stops working? And I've never had a "searching for signal" error prior to the HR20 with the many many D* receivers I've had in the past (I've been a D* subscriber since 1993).
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
101 Posts
wheelswagz said:
I don't know what dish I have. D* did the 3 LNB dish install last fall when I moved into a new house. And all of that worked fine with 4 HD receivers. Then I purchased the HR20 and replaced one of the H10 receivers myself. Then I discovered 2 satellite inputs were required, and removed another receiver that was connected to a different offline DVR. So I had two of the former satellite inputs going directly to the HR20 without any switch before. Since I was still getting the error message, I bought the powered switch to see if that would help, and it did for a while, but I'm still getting the "searching for signal" error message after a few hours of using the HR20.

Why would the switch or LNB be an issue if it works fine for a few hours and then stops working? And I've never had a "searching for signal" error prior to the HR20 with the many many D* receivers I've had in the past (I've been a D* subscriber since 1993).
I'm getting the same "searching for signal" error ocassionaly as well, but only with the HR20, not my other tivo based receiver. I have a 3lnb dish as well. I'm under the assumption this is a software bug with the HR20, as so many other people are having this same problem. I've been a customer since 93 also, and never had this problem either. Definitely no fun
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,332 Posts
Wheelswagz,

Lets start almost from the beginning. You have a 3lnb dish with 4 outputs. Do all 4 outputs go into the 4 sat. inputs of the 5x8? And the switch then feeds all the receivers in your house like this:

3LNB ==> 5x8 ====receivers

or is the 3lnb feeding both switch and some receivers (bad):

3LNB --> 5x8 --->HR20
+------->other receivers

Cheers,
Tom
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tibber said:
Lets start almost from the beginning. You have a 3lnb dish with 4 outputs. Do all 4 outputs go into the 4 sat. inputs of the 5x8? And the switch then feeds all the receivers in your house like this:

3LNB ==> 5x8 ====receivers

or is the 3lnb feeding both switch and some receivers (bad):

3LNB --> 5x8 --->HR20
+------->other receivers
You are correct. Prior to installing the switch, the 4 sat outputs went to the HR20 and 2 other receivers. Now that I have the switch installed, all 4 sat outputs are going to the switch, and then the switch is going to the receivers.

Regarding the MPEG4, those are for Local HD only, right? I am not using any local channels through my D*, although I do have the national NBC in HD through D*. Otherwise, I use OTA only.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,332 Posts
Your setup "should" work fine for the HR20 for now (as well as your other receivers.) At some point, you will want to install the 5lnb dish and a new switch (negotiate to have D* pay for both, btw) so that you can get all the new HD channels that will be turning up next year.

So why doesn't it work, becomes the question. Did you tell the HR20 that it only has a 3lnb dish?

Is it always on one tuner?

And when it happens, what are the signal meters reading on 101, 110, and 119 for each tuner?

Grasping at straws,
Tom
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tibber said:
Did you tell the HR20 that it only has a 3lnb dish?

Is it always on one tuner?

And when it happens, what are the signal meters reading on 101, 110, and 119 for each tuner?
Yes I did the satellite setup on the HR20 stating I have a 3LNB dish. It uses both tuners when it's working fine, and it has successfully recorded two HD programs at once. It's just that after a while of using it as designed, the "searching for signal" error comes up. And all of the signal meters register great... until the error occurs again.

I understand that "grasping at straws" concept! :rolleyes:

I pay the monthly charge for D* line support. I guess my main concern before I contact D* is should I be telling them to replace my HR20 receiver or not? I actually purchased the receiver from BB, though, not D*. But I don't think that should be an issue since it is actually a D* receiver.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top