DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to get a feel for what other people in the Seattle area are experiencing for their local HD feeds with the HR20, so I know if it's just me or not.

When I first got set up I thought everything looked INCREDIBLE...since of course I'd never seen HD in my home before. Now that I've had a few weeks to get used to it, I'm noticing issues.

Primarily I get horrible macroblocking when watching shows. This is most noticeable when there is any sort of movement. If the shot is fixed it still looks beautiful, but add movement and it breaks up all over the place. Friday Night Lights is a great example of this. The show has a lot of jerky camera movements and when you add that in to the macroblocking the show is almost unwatchable.

Also things like explosions are pixellated.

Is this a universal thing for everyone in the Seattle market on an HR20? Is the problem with the encoding end or the decoding end? Is it just me? Will it ever improve or be fixed? Who do I direct my complaints to? D*TV or CBS/NBC?

I primarily notice this on the locals, but it also shows up on some of the national HD channels, though not nearly to that same extent. For instance ESPN HD MNF looks absolutely brilliant.

I can't get OTA so I really have nothing to compare to and no other options if I want HD (other than going to Comcast).

· Cool Member
21 Posts
The only show I watch on KING 5 (NBC) is Heroes. I have only noticed a little macro blocking in earlier version of the software (especially when fast forwarding), but even that is gone since they've updated the software.

I did watch one of the hawks games on NBC last month and it looked fine.

Have you checked your signal from the satellite?

Now that they have KCPQ 13, I plan on watching a lot more of the Seahawks in HD, so maybe I'll have more information for you on Sunday.

· AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you mentioned Heroes. That's another one that always looks fantastic in HD. I rarely see any macro-blocking. This again makes me think that it has more to do with the feed than the software on the HR20, but I could be completely wrong. Is it possible that different shows, even on the same Network are being sent out with varying levels of signal strength?

I'm definitely psyched about finally getting FOX in HD....it will be interesting to see if I notice any of the same issues with that feed.

And yes, I have checked my signal strength. I'm anywhere from 97-100 every time I check.

I know Earl has said that D*TV is still trying to work out the whole MPEG4 thing, so I'm hoping that the HD picture will improve within the coming months.

· AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone else been having pixelation problems on the MPEG4 Locals this past week? It's happening to me randomly throughout all broadcasts, sometimes as often as every few minutes, sometimes I'll go 5-10 minutes with no issue.

This is happening on both my HR20s and only began about 4-5 days ago, but has not gone away.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
ChromaTick said:
Has anyone else been having pixelation problems on the MPEG4 Locals this past week? It's happening to me randomly throughout all broadcasts, sometimes as often as every few minutes, sometimes I'll go 5-10 minutes with no issue.

This is happening on both my HR20s and only began about 4-5 days ago, but has not gone away.
It was clearly noticeable on both NBC and FOX during the games.

During the seahawks game on Saturday, I was thinking that it was a problem with the NBC feed, but it happened again on the FOX Sunday games. As I was recording on both of my HR 20s (I was experimenting with the difference between manual record and padding), I can say that it occurred on both of my HR 20's. Bother were set to use the HD locals provided by directv and not OTA. Perhaps someone that used OTA can tell us if they noticed any pixelation.

· AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sealslayer said:
It was clearly noticeable on both NBC and FOX during the games.

During the seahawks game on Saturday, I was thinking that it was a problem with the NBC feed, but it happened again on the FOX Sunday games. As I was recording on both of my HR 20s (I was experimenting with the difference between manual record and padding), I can say that it occurred on both of my HR 20's. Bother were set to use the HD locals provided by directv and not OTA. Perhaps someone that used OTA can tell us if they noticed any pixelation.
Yeah, I was thinking it was just the feed for the games too. I was on vacation last week, so after the games I started watching my recorded stuff and it was on everything..Scrubs, Office, CSI, Earl. I'm also pulling in the D*TV locals, not OTA.

· Mentor
33 Posts
Same here, it happens with a more increasing frequency now then it did before. The only ota I get is 13-1 and it is not hapening there. Could this be weather related? It indeed has been nasty out.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I haven't noticed too much of a difference. There was a problem with KIRO (OTA was fine) last week, but it later cleared up. I replaced my H20 with a HR20 today so will keep an eye on things (so far so good).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.