DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't blame DirecTV maybe - we are having lots of rain, wind, and power outages.

I'm getting on the the High Def KCPQ feed from DirecTV (Not OTA)
"No need to call us"
Your local sation is working to restorer their signal as soon as possible This station is having technical difficulites"

Been this way for an hour or so.

·
Godfather
395 Posts
RobertSeattle said:
Don't blame DirecTV maybe - we are having lots of rain, wind, and power outages.

"No need to call us"
Your local sation is working to restorer their signal as soon as possible This station is having technical difficulites"

I'm watching it on 95 with no problems. There is no local affiliate carrying it here in Sacramento.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
The signal on 95 has been up the whole time barring NFLN problems. They lost the feed at the stadium and went to the studio while they were working out "technical difficulties" at which time they also stated the power went out at Qwest Field for a moment.

·
Godfather
307 Posts
I thought the HD feed on Ch. 95 looked terrible. Anybody else think so? I compared it to Channels 70-79 and my OTA channels. It was decent, but not nearly as sharp at the others.

·
Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Banging head on keyboard...

I just "Assumed" DirecTV would black out 95 so the local could carry it.

Of course, as a Seattlite, in retrospect, I wish the entire game had been blacked out.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
If I were Seattle I'd refuse anymore primetime games at home..... Every primetime game I watch played in Seattle the has been a weather catastrophe. The snow against Green Bay, you'd swear was played at "The Frozen Tundra" and last night looked a lot more like a hurricane soaked game in Miami.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
RobertSeattle said:

"No need to call us"

But the thing is that DirecTV most likely gets it's HD signal from KCPQ from OTA themselves. Thus if OTA is down or has issues the MPEG4 version on DirecTV will have the same issues.

An example is my local CBS station. On Thursday the MPEG4 version on DirecTV went out. Flipped over to my other receiver that has OTA hooked up to it and sure enough it's down. Their transmitter went out for a few hours which effected the MPEG4 feed since they get it via OTA before uplinking to the sats.

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
RobertSeattle said:
Of course, as a Seattlite, in retrospect, I wish the entire game had been blacked out.
Naw, just the second half.:mad:

And for those watching the game, the bad weather didn't hit until after midnight. This morning there are trees down everywhere and about 50% of people in the greater Puget Sound region are without power. Ugly - worst storm in over a decade.

Carl

·
Godfather
395 Posts
premio said:
I'm watching it on 95 with no problems. There is no local affiliate carrying it here in Sacramento.
I don't understand the whole blackout thing or DirectTV. I do not have any sports package added to my bill, so I was pleasently suprised to see 95 was carrying the game in HD. I also couldn't believe noone in Sacramento was carrying it, afterall we are all either Raiders or 49ers fans since we are 80 miles away, but that's another issue.

If I watch a kings game and see it in the 90's, I get a x721 message I think. I won't argue though, it was nice to see =)

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
bonscott87 said:
But the thing is that DirecTV most likely gets it's HD signal from KCPQ from OTA themselves. Thus if OTA is down or has issues the MPEG4 version on DirecTV will have the same issues.
DirecTV does get it's HD signal directly from the locals that broadcast in HD, but it's not the same product that goes OTA. A station could have a problem with their OTA broadcast antenna or transmission facility, but still be able to send a great HD signal to DirecTV and the cable company. This happened in my area with our local PBS station for a long time. Also, they didn't have bandwidth on the broadcast antenna to send out their HD content 24 hours a day, but they did send it 24 hours a day to comcast (it was quite annoying for a while).

If DirecTV had to capture OTA signals from local stations they'd have to have antennas set up in every market. Much easier to have the stations uplink that data to them.

·
9,809 Posts
redfiver said:
DirecTV does get it's HD signal directly from the locals that broadcast in HD, but it's not the same product that goes OTA. A station could have a problem with their OTA broadcast antenna or transmission facility, but still be able to send a great HD signal to DirecTV and the cable company. This happened in my area with our local PBS station for a long time. Also, they didn't have bandwidth on the broadcast antenna to send out their HD content 24 hours a day, but they did send it 24 hours a day to comcast (it was quite annoying for a while).

If DirecTV had to capture OTA signals from local stations they'd have to have antennas set up in every market. Much easier to have the stations uplink that data to them.
DirecTV captures the signals via OTA in most markets for HD (it very well may be different for the old SD). They do so for every single HD station in my market. Perhaps in the biggest markets like NY or LA they don't, but once you get past market 10 or so it's mostly OTA because the stations don't want to pay (or have the money) to setup a direct fiber link to the DirecTV uplink.

·
9,809 Posts
premio said:
I don't understand the whole blackout thing or DirectTV. I do not have any sports package added to my bill, so I was pleasently suprised to see 95 was carrying the game in HD. I also couldn't believe noone in Sacramento was carrying it, afterall we are all either Raiders or 49ers fans since we are 80 miles away, but that's another issue.

If I watch a kings game and see it in the 90's, I get a x721 message I think. I won't argue though, it was nice to see =)
This game is an NFL Network game. It's always on 95 in HD and it's open to everyone, there are no blackouts (unless the game didn't sell out of course). It's available for OTA broadcast in the home and away markets only for those without cable. It's no different then ESPN's Sunday night games in the past or their Monday night games now.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Proc said:
I thought the HD feed on Ch. 95 looked terrible. Anybody else think so? I compared it to Channels 70-79 and my OTA channels. It was decent, but not nearly as sharp at the others.
I thought it looked great, especially how the 49ers whipped the Seahawks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.