DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My folks have a beach house and would very much like to dump Time Warner for Directv, which is what they have at home. In speaking to a representative (I was calling on my own account), she informed me that as they have an existing account, there would be no promotional offers available to them. That seems ridiculous, as this would be essentially a new account transferring from cable.

I'm completely familiar with the complaint that Directv doesn't take care of existing customers (having been one since 1996), but this seems ridiculous.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
opening a new account with some one who has never have DirecTV service will qualify for the new customers promotions. so if your folks service is on your dad's name, opening the account on your mom's name will let you get the free stuff.

· Registered
930 Posts
In speaking to a representative (I was calling on my own account), she informed me that as they have an existing account, there would be no promotional offers available to them
thats incorrect...dependent upon account eligibility there are offers pretty much the same as the national offers available....

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
They need to call and speak with the movers department who would let them know what their options are. However a second account is not eligible for the same level of equipment and programming discounts that a new account gets. Just have them call and get the information that they qualify for.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Shades228 said:
However a second account is not eligible for the same level of equipment and programming discounts that a new account gets. .
this is why is recommended to get another account under someone else's name.

· Hall Of Fame
2,562 Posts
They have esentually two (legal) options.

First, if they are "snowbirds" where they split their time between two places, all they need do is call the "mover's connection" the next time they shift to the beach. DirecTV will install a set up that accomodates their current level of service. They need only move their boxes. Then, every time they shift thereafter, they simply call the same "mover's connection" and transfer their service back (and forth, and back and forth) between the two places, informing the CSR that the previous resident has left behind appropriate dishes.

Or second, if they spend weekends and such at the beach, just set up a second account in another name and using the beach's address. If the account is in dad's name, use mom's.

· AllStar
68 Posts
I think that the "mover's connection" is the best option. All that is required is that you bring the receiver(s) back and forth. Each time you switch locations, you can call and have the locals switched as well. We did it for a long time before selling one of the homes. There's no extra charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.