DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the other thread on this and I see that other people are having problems with receiving their secondary local market channels.

Is anyone receiving any of their SECONDARY LOCAL MARKET CHANNELS?????

I just wanted to know if this was a nationwide problem or just isolated areas????

Thanks for any information or fixes for this problem. :)

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Well for what ever reason,
My secondary market is lumped in with my primary

When I do my zip code it comes back:
Chicago/Gary, IN

And I do get the networks from both

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Well for what ever reason,
My secondary market is lumped in with my primary

When I do my zip code it comes back:
Chicago/Gary, IN

And I do get the networks from both
Earl,
Actually when I put in my zip code for my Primary Local Market......where I actually live.........I get a message "no locals available". I had to use the STL zip code to get my locals.

This is very strange because I use my local zip code on my H20 in my bedroom and I also use my secondary local market zip and the H20 works fine for OTA both markets.

But the HR20 does not.

Thanks

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
mjm76 said:
Earl,
Actually when I put in my zip code for my Primary Local Market......where I actually live.........I get a message "no locals available". I had to use the STL zip code to get my locals.

This is very strange because I use my local zip code on my H20 in my bedroom and I also use my secondary local market zip and the H20 works fine for OTA both markets.

But the HR20 does not.

Thanks
Try it again, or try another near by zip code.

· Legend
229 Posts
mjm76 said:
I have read the other thread on this and I see that other people are having problems with receiving their secondary local market channels.

Is anyone receiving any of their SECONDARY LOCAL MARKET CHANNELS?????

I just wanted to know if this was a nationwide problem or just isolated areas????

Thanks for any information or fixes for this problem. :)
Yep, works for me. Baltimore is my primary market, but now thanks to OTA, I have the DC channels, too. And I think a ton of other area PBS stations that I didn't add to the guide. The DC zipcode I used covered a HUGE area.

· AllStar
92 Posts
HockeyKat said:
Yep, works for me. Baltimore is my primary market, but now thanks to OTA, I have the DC channels, too. And I think a ton of other area PBS stations that I didn't add to the guide. The DC zipcode I used covered a HUGE area.
I'm in the same boat - I'm in the Baltimore area but used a DC zip as the secondary and an unreal amount of PBS channels showed.

Which ones are you getting as actually coming in?

I'm getting 22 and 67, plus all of their sub channels but the others did not appear reachable

Eddie

· Legend
229 Posts
yesongs said:
I'm in the same boat - I'm in the Baltimore area but used a DC zip as the secondary and an unreal amount of PBS channels showed.

Which ones are you getting as actually coming in?

I'm getting 22 and 67, plus all of their sub channels but the others did not appear reachable

Eddie
I didn't even bother seeing how all of those PBS channels came in. How much PBS does a person need, anyway? :) I think we kept 22, but haven't checked out the subs yet. And of course, we're making use of all the DC network stations. Especially channel 50. I commented in another thread about how 50 seems to come in really well, despite how far away it is. Even the H20, which has a better tuner than what we had used before, didn't seem to be this clear for CW50. Now hopefully we can stop worrying about our hockey coverage. :D

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Also keep in mind that you'll only get the secondary market if you're actually able to receive them with your antenna.

For example there are 2 other markets near me that I *could* receiver but I don't have the antenna to be able to get them as my antenna is pointed at my primary market towers. I'd have to get a second antenna to get either of the other secondary markets.

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bonscott87 said:
Also keep in mind that you'll only get the secondary market if you're actually able to receive them with your antenna.

For example there are 2 other markets near me that I *could* receiver but I don't have the antenna to be able to get them as my antenna is pointed at my primary market towers. I'd have to get a second antenna to get either of the other secondary markets.
As I mentioned in my other post on my H20 in my bedroon I get the secondary OTA locals from Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

I actually get the secondary market OTA channels on my TV in my living room thru the my Panasonic OTA tuner but they are not coming through on my HR20 so thus I can not record them with the HR20.

No big deal since I am getting my primary locals OTA thru the HR20 but still the secondary market should work on the HR20 since they work on the H20.

Thanks again for the responses.......................Please do not get me wrong I am not complaining I love my HR20 but I am just trying to achieve full functionality with the HR20 so I can take full advantage of it with recordings. :)

· Registered
5,952 Posts
mjm76 said:
Thanks again for the responses.......................Please do not get me wrong I am not complaining I love my HR20 but I am just trying to achieve full functionality with the HR20 so I can take full advantage of it with recordings. :)
Don't be shy about raising functional issues...it's important. I'm sure this is something they will get worked out as they get to it. Right now they are having some problems getting the primary market to work right in all cases. (Low VHF and Channels missing from the Guide)

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Try it again, or try another near by zip code.
Here is my update on acquiring my secondary market. I tried it again with a different zip code for my secondary market and I got all the channels but one for the secondary market.

I am going to try it again tomorrow and I hope that maybe I can acquire that channel also.

It is strange that it did not work the first time. I did use a different zip code this time but both zip codes are for the secondary market.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Here's a question. I live between Baltimore and Philadelphia (as the crow flies, about 36 miles from Balt and less than 60 from Philly). My primary is out of Baltimore as I am in a 21901 zip code. I would love to be able to pull Philly in as a secondary. Is that possible? I do not yet have an OTA antenna (and I never have had one), but I am planning on getting one. And with that said, any ideas on what I should get? If you drew a line between Balt and Philly I am pretty much right in between each city (right off of I-95 on the Ches. Bay. Thanks for any input.

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
old44272 said:
Here's a question. I live between Baltimore and Philadelphia (as the crow flies, about 36 miles from Balt and less than 60 from Philly). My primary is out of Baltimore as I am in a 21901 zip code. I would love to be able to pull Philly in as a secondary. Is that possible? I do not yet have an OTA antenna (and I never have had one), but I am planning on getting one. And with that said, any ideas on what I should get? If you drew a line between Balt and Philly I am pretty much right in between each city (right off of I-95 on the Ches. Bay. Thanks for any input.
I would think you could possibly pull both Philly and Balt. in but I would think you would probably need a rotor to point the antenna at each city.

You could probably get by without an amp on your OTA but you may need one to pull in the farther stations from Philly.

I live approximately 70 miles from STL and I have a large Channel master antenna with an amp and I can receive the STL stations but to receive my secondary stations from Cape Girardeau I sometimes have to turn my OTA completely around to get the best signal but not all the time. Most of the time I can point my antenna north toward STL and still get the southern stations from Cape. Depending on your location you may be able to do the same thing but I am guessing that you will probably need the rotor to turn the OTA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.