DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live halfway between Richmond, VA and Raleigh, NC. Years ago I was with Dish and I received channels from both markets.

A few years back I switched to DirecTV and they set me up a primary market and then gave me some SD locals, after waivers were submitted, from Richmond, Lynchburg, etc. That has worked well, since all I really want to do is watch some Richmond news now and again.

I'm signing up to move back to Dish, but the rep on the phone wasn't sure if I could still get waivers or not.

Do they still do this? I live in VA, and I really would like to stay in touch with my own state, even if it is in SD.

· Super Moderator
54,213 Posts
tampa8 said:
Agreed, Dish does not do Distants anymore, other than for RV's/Truckers.
DISH does distants and significantly viewed stations in "short" markets, but they do not offer a choice of which affiliate is imported to fill in the missing networks.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
The Raleigh DMA only covers a couple VA counties right over the border from NC. So unless you're living in those counties (Mecklinburg County VA, maybe another one) - you won't be getting Raleigh from Dish. With the proper OTA setup, you can get them OTA for a couple counties further up I85

910 Posts
Here is a list of the channels included with the local package:

RALEIGH ABC-WTVD HD (WTVD) 11
RALEIGH CBS-WRAL HD (WRAL) 5
RALEIGH NBC-WNCN HD (WNCN) 17
RALEIGH FOX-WRAZ HD (WRAZ) 50
RALEIGH PBS-UNCTV HD (UNCTV) 4
RALEIGH - DURHAM ABC-WTVD (WTVD) 11
RALEIGH - DURHAM NBC-WNCN (WNCN) 17
RALEIGH - DURHAM CW-WLFL (WLFL) 22
RALEIGH - DURHAM MNT-WRDC (WRDC) 28
RALEIGH - DURHAM PBS-WUNC (WUNC) 4
RALEIGH - DURHAM UNVSN-WUVC (WUVC) 40
RALEIGH IND-WRAY (WRAY) 30
RALEIGH ION-WRPX (WRPX) 47
RALEIGH PBS-UNCEX (UNCEX ) 36

As suggested, you can use an OTA setup to receive over the air local channels. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Marlin Guy said:
I'm in Mecklenburg. Raleigh is my default.

· Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can use OTA, but it struggles to get Richmond feeds and the Hooper does not have an OTA tuner.

I guess I'm a bit confused as to why I could get a waiver previously with Dish, and currently with DirecTV, but I can't get a new one if I switch back to Dish.
Anyone care to explain that to me?

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Dish was sued by the FCC a while ago and lost the ability to give you anything that's not specifically available in your area. They have to tread very lightly.

· Godfather/Supporter
2,029 Posts
Marlin Guy said:
I can use OTA, but it struggles to get Richmond feeds and the Hooper does not have an OTA tuner.

I guess I'm a bit confused as to why I could get a waiver previously with Dish, and currently with DirecTV, but I can't get a new one if I switch back to Dish.
Anyone care to explain that to me?
It's no harder than this. Dish does not offer what you are asking for, Distants for households. If you had the PBS national channel and came back now, you can't get that either, Dish does not offer it. Plenty more examples.
Further, by law Dish and Direct can not give you Distants if they carry your locals, even with waivers. If you leave Direct TV, and come back you will not get a second set of locals from them either.

· Super Moderator
54,213 Posts
RasputinAXP said:
Dish was sued by the FCC a while ago and lost the ability to give you anything that's not specifically available in your area. They have to tread very lightly.
The story is much more complicated than that and DISH has regained permission to bring in distant signals from outside of local markets. Your statement is out of date. There are several markets where DISH openly and legally provides stations from outside of the customer's local market.

DISH has made a business decision to offer their choice of out of market signals and not offer the customer's choice of distant stations to home users.

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
James Long said:
The story is much more complicated than that and DISH has regained permission to bring in distant signals from outside of local markets. Your statement is out of date. There are several markets where DISH openly and legally provides stations from outside of the customer's local market.

DISH has made a business decision to offer their choice of out of market signals and not offer the customer's choice of distant stations to home users.
Well yeah, but I was oversimplifying it for the benefit of doing the 'short, short version'.

· Cool Member
20 Posts
1. Will Dish allow waivers or not? I think I find myself wanting to know the answer to this question that I don't think has completely been answered.

2. If so, what are the criteria for granting waivers to the distant locals (i.e. next closest market or nationals).

3. Does "on the fringes of a DMA" qualify for distant locals, especially if they cannot guarantee locals within the area they specify.

4. PTAT doesn't work with SD locals and neighboring DMA market is HD.

5. D* stated I live in the neighboring DMA and qualify for locals by zip code according to FCC rules. E* reps contradicts that statement.

Bottom line is I'd like to get back to the DMA locals I previously had with D* and stick with OTA for the other locals from the DMA that E* says I should have.

suggestions?

· Godfather
450 Posts
Maa2p said:
1. Will Dish allow waivers or not? I think I find myself wanting to know the answer to this question that I don't think has completely been answered.

2. If so, what are the criteria for granting waivers to the distant locals (i.e. next closest market or nationals).

3. Does "on the fringes of a DMA" qualify for distant locals, especially if they cannot guarantee locals within the area they specify.

4. PTAT doesn't work with SD locals and neighboring DMA market is HD.

5. D* stated I live in the neighboring DMA and qualify for locals by zip code according to FCC rules. E* reps contradicts that statement.

Bottom line is I'd like to get back to the DMA locals I previously had with D* and stick with OTA for the other locals from the DMA that E* says I should have.

suggestions?
1. No.

2. Waivers were for distant stations, ie NY & LA. Nearby markets MAY (no requirement) be carried if significantly viewed. The FCC maintains the SV list. http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations031011.pdf

3. Only if on the SV list and the carrier chooses to to so.

4. To be sure of HD you may need an antenna and/or your own DVR.

5. DirecTV may have fixed their zip code problem since you talked to them.

· Godfather/Supporter
2,029 Posts
"1. Will Dish allow waivers or not? I think I find myself wanting to know the answer to this question that I don't think has completely been answered."

Dish and Direct by law can not give you any other locals if they carry the ones for your DMA. You can get waivers from every channel in the US, the law does not allow either to give you two set of locals or anything but your one set of locals assigned by DMA. This applies even if you can not get your locals with an antenna, which is change from the previous law.
Significantly viewed or filling in a short market is different, is generally allowed, does not mean Dish or Direct has to do it. A negotiation dispute is not a way for them to give you another channel btw. To my knowledge Dish does not and will not give you a significantly viewed channel I'm not even sure they are allowed to though Direct TV is. The exceptions to all this, there are a couple of channels that by law must be carried for anyone in the State even if not in their DMA, in additon to the DMA stations.

RV/Trucker distants are different, and are done by both Dish and Direct, Dish has very specific ways of getting it.

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
I have noticed over the last couple of years that the cable co in my dma and also by brother's are removing several significantly viewed locals but am not sure why. About the only channels I see that cable co's will give you that Dish doesn't are major network locals from boardering dma's. It is my understanding that Direct cannot offer these channels as well.

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
garys said:
I have noticed over the last couple of years that the cable co in my dma and also by brother's are removing several significantly viewed locals but am not sure why. About the only channels I see that cable co's will give you that Dish doesn't are major network locals from boardering dma's. It is my understanding that Direct cannot offer these channels as well.
Extra locals are probably being removed because they can now ask for payment from Cable and satellite services and the redundant networks are just not worth it to the cable co.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.