DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my 61.5 dish in afew day---after a lot of CSR problems.

I asked foe an SW64 switch and was told that the SW44 was standard but that I could pay the installer for the upgraded switch if I chose to.

First of all I was surprised to hear that the SW44 was "standard" but who knows. Second which of these switches should I want----if that is indeed my choice on installation day.

BTW I have a DP 72000 and a 3700. I want flexibilty to either add another receiver or repalce the Dp witha two tuner receiver in the future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That reponse is a load of crap. The SW44 won't work for you no matter what your current configuration of equipment is if you're adding a 61.5 dish.

If you have a dish 500 with dual lnbs, then the installer will either have to install the 61.5 dish with a sw64 switch, or replace your dual lnbs with a twin lnb and then cascade the 2 lines with 2 sw21 switches to add the 2nd dish. If you have a twin lnb, then the installer would cascade 2 sw21s. The 44 won't work with either situation.

If the installer insists on replacing your equipment to cascade the 21s, then I would suggest that you don't let him touch your setup, and go through the hassle with dish again to set up another install. The only way to maintain your flexibility goals today is to get the 64 switch installed in the deal. Any other option limits you to 2 receivers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Not sure I understand why an SW 44 will not work with two dishes (original Dish 500 and an 18 inch dish). But perhaps i am not as technically literate enough to understand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It won't work because of the twin lnb... the twin and quad lnb, as well as the sw44 use the same command set. In other words, they "look" identical to the reciever.

Are you adding the side slot for HD, or because of must-carry? If because of must-carry, and if you currently have 3 recievers on account, then e* will have to give you either a sw64 or a quad and sw21's. Otherwise, you have to get the equipment on your own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two receivers a DP 7200 and a 3700. Want the option of adding reeivers or a two tuner PVR.

Adding for must carry I do not have HD capability.

Still confused a to why 44 won't work but I think i need to ask once again for the SW 64. They claim the installer will have an SW64 but I am skeptical. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Geronimo, let me elaborate.

The 44 takes 4 inputs, being 2 lines from the 119 dual lnb and 2 lines from the 110 dual lnb. It then sends 4 lines out to 4 receivers. There's no place to input the 2 lines coming from the 61.5 dual lnb. The 64 has 6 inputs - the 4 above plus the 2 from the 61.5 dual lnb. Then it sends 4 lines out to 4 receivers. Of course, you don't have to use all 4 output lines.

Actually, the 44 could work in this configuration, but I can't see a dish installed using it because the configuration is no longer supported by Dish. You could cascade sw21s off the sw44 to add the 61.5 dish - i.e. 4 lines into the sw44 from 119 and 110, then 2 of the lines out from the 44 into sw21s along with 2 lines from the 61.5 dish, then the outs of the sw21s to the receivers. It works, but Dish doesn't want you to use it anymore.

That clearer? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I think If I do get it. Basically I want an SW 64but heaven only knows what they will arrive with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i stand corrected on the sw44 issue. here's what I know about what the dish installer will tell you, but YMMV.

if you only have 2 recievers on account, the dish installer has been instructed on his install sheet to give you a dual lnb if not already there, plus a dish 300 dish with a dual lnb and 2 sw21's. My installer stuck by this, but others have been able to coax a sw64 out of them.

As soon as you can, before he arrives, purchase and activate a third reciever. Possibly then you can get a sw64 out of him, maybe not. Check through the history here and see what others have done, because again, YMMV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The installer showed up and installed a new 300 and replaced my old switch with an SW64 at no additional charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.