DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my son chooses to record a show from the H21 in the family room, he is viewing the SD channel (292 DXD). When the HR24 starts to record it it is recording it on the HD channel (292 DXDHD). Why? How can I make it so the HR24 uses the SD channel when he records something using the H21?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
StephenJC said:
When my son chooses to record a show from the H21 in the family room, he is viewing the SD channel (292 DXD). When the HR24 starts to record it it is recording it on the HD channel (292 DXDHD). Why? How can I make it so the HR24 uses the SD channel when he records something using the H21?
the HR24 is not set for the SD channel.
I repeated this here to see and the DVR when set to hide SD duplicates, records the HD channel when the remote receiver is viewing the SD.
You might try having the guide show both HD & SD on the DVR and see if it then will record the SD channel.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to record the SD version if it is available in HD?

I just tested using an H21 and HR24, and have the same thing happen. I have both SD and HD channels available in the guide on both units. Don't know why it behaves this way.

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because my son NEVER deletes anything and I don't want 50 episodes of Phineas and Ferb in HD taking up all of the space on my HR24. SD will take up a lot less space.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
StephenJC said:
Because my son NEVER deletes anything and I don't want 50 episodes of Phineas and Ferb in HD taking up all of the space on my HR24. SD will take up a lot less space.
You could just create a Series Link on the HR24 to record Phineas & Ferb in SD for him.

The only guess I would have as to why the HR24 wants to record the HD version is because it's an HDDVR and when a channel number is selected it defaults to the HD version. When it gets the request from the H21 to record what's on 292 it selects the first 292 it finds, the HD one.

Another option would be to put an external 2TB drive on the HR24 and not worry about space.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
It doesn't look like the system has a setting to resolve this problem, so:

1. get your son to change his habits. :lol:
  2. change the H21 for a DVR and then he can only record locally
  3. On the HR24, set the recording defaults to only keep X number of recordings, which "hopefully" doesn't get overridden by manual recording requests.
  4. As posted, setup series links for the shows and limit the number.
These are about all I can come up with

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.