DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to self-install my system (one HD receiver & one HD DVR receiver). I was leaning this way from the start; what put me solidly on the "self-install side of the fence" is the large number of problems forum members post when using DirecTV's installers.

My install will be rather easy. I've already got RG6 run to both reciever and dish locations & phone lines to receiver locations.

I've got a question about buying systems from BestBuy. Granted one trip to the store will answer this; but, it will be a least a week before I make the trip and I just HAVE to know NOW.:D

BestBuy's website describes receivers. It does not mention the dish it self. I ASSume you can pick up both receivers & dishes at BestBuy?

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called BestBuy and was told I can only buy the receivers. The person I talked to said I have to go to DirecTV for the dish.:mad:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,856 Posts
Surprise! You may be able to obtain equipment through a local dealer or an online retailer. Understand that DirecTV may choose not to compensate you for it.

I recommend going through a local dealer/installer as you may be able to meet face-to-face with an installer who you feel comfortable drilling fasteners into your home before they start drilling. If the installer is DirecTV authorized, you stand a much better chance of being compensated (if they don't take care of it up front). That being said, make sure that the dealer does their own installs as many of them are simply taking orders that they turn over to DirecTV to dispatch in any way they see fit.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
You will need the AT9, unless you have experience at installing satellite systems I strongly recommend taking the free install. In Atlanta you should be able to find several local dealers visit them and find one you are comfortable working with.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Since you're adding HiDef services to your subscription, it's quite likely that DirecTV will provide and install your AT9 5-LNB dish for free. If you've already run all of the cables, the install should be simple. You can always tweak their installation if you're not happy.

If you do decided to go it alone, check out the installation videos here ....
http://www.solidsignal.com/dtvkuka

You can also buy the AT9 dish from SolidSignal and other online retailers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.