DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice from the pros. I currently have a slimline dish, with 4 lines going inside with no grounding block or switch, just home runs to the 2 SD receivers and 1 HR21-700. I don't want to deal with DirecTV, as I'm really good at doing things on my own.

I have a 500ft spool of RG6QS cable from home depot, I probably have 300feet left. Anyway, I have a cheap crimper, cheap stripper, and I've used cheap f connectors in the past. I'm sure my cable is good, but what do you guys use for tools? I'm not looking to spend $100, but if need be I can.

The reason I ask is I'm looking to add a OTA antenna, a SWM switch, ground everything and redo the homeruns in my home as well a new line for my cable modem.

As far as f connectors, I'm looking at the Digicon RG6Q green connector, any good? Do I need a special compression tool for those? Any help is appreciated, and where to get these on the cheap is even better :)

I'm in Milwaukee, WI if anyone wants to help haha

Thanks,
Justin

·
Godfather
499 Posts
idigg said:
I don't want to deal with DirecTV, as I'm really good at doing things on my own.
DIY, good man. You'll love the independence from the dreaded truck roll.

I have a 500ft spool of RG6QS cable from home depot, I probably have 300feet left.
You might check that RG6. Recently, all I find at Home Depot is copper coated steel coax. It will work if you don't have to deal with longer runs. D* specifies solid copper center conductor. Read the box or use a pen knife or magnet to find out what you have.

As far as f connectors, I'm looking at the Digicon RG6Q green connector, any good? Do I need a special compression tool for those? Any help is appreciated, and where to get these on the cheap is even better :)
Digicon are very good connectors, beautifully made, weather tight, and solid connections and work well with the D* system. That's what I've used for last 3 plus years. That said, they are not on the D* Approved Materials List. Look at PV6PV or EX6XL connectors that are on the list. See http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Install/Connectors.htm

Who's blonking whose ugly daughter to get products on the list, inquiring minds want to know. That the digicons cost about 0.45 each (qty 100) and the others are 0.15 to 0.17 each might help you out or might clue you in on the quality. With the number of connectors you'll use on a single installation, the price should be irrelevant.

Many compression tools work with different brands of connectors. It's about size of fit and length of the compression stroke. Prices from $25 to $100. Matter of picking one that says that it works for your connectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.