DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Godfather
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here,s the deal
I would like to bring a HR 20 in my second house.
I don't have a Directv dish yet in this house.
I would like to install by myself the slimline (AU9 I think), cables, and other things if I have to.

I know that the dish needs to be grounded, I have to buy some RG6 cables.

My questions are:

1: Do I need to buy the multiswitch Zinwell (4 or 8 outputs), or other multiswitch (only one receiver will be connected to the dish), If no how do i connect the dish to the receiver?

2: Should I get the braces (short, or long ones)? (see pic)

3: Do i need to buy some screws, bolts, or is it coming with the dish?

4: Do I need to have the connector to the right of the Zinwell (see pic)

I was thinking of buying the dish on this website, and the dish is delivered with the AZ/EL back assembly.

http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/dir...ne-dish-antenna-with-five-lnb-kaku-p-141.html

Is there a better website that I could buy the dish?

If I forgot to mention something could you tell me what do I need to buy

Thanks a lot for your help

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Answers in blue :)

Renard said:
Ok, here,s the deal
I would like to install by myself the slimline (AU9 I think), cables, and other things if I have to.

My questions are:

1: Do I need to buy the multiswitch Zinwell (4 or 8 outputs), or other multiswitch (only one receiver will be connected to the dish), If no how do i connect the dish to the receiver?

No, the Dish LNB has 4 outputs that you can use 2 of to connect to your receiver.

You should get braces.

That is a grounding block and you should have one to properly ground the system, if you are only going to be using the one DVR you will only technically need a 2 Port one, but for future expansion you may want to use a 4 port one.

I was thinking of buying the dish on this website, and the dish is delivered with the AZ/EL back assembly.

http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/dir...ne-dish-antenna-with-five-lnb-kaku-p-141.html

Newegg and SolidSignal.com both seem to have it for a bit cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882250004
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=AU9-S

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Renard said:
1: Do I need to buy the multiswitch Zinwell (4 or 8 outputs),
No for a single HD DVR you'd only need 2 of the 4 dish outputs. I would however, as is required by D* spec, run 4 lines from ODU to ground location. this way the system is easily expanded.

Renard said:
2: Should I get the braces
Yes, again for D* spec you need them. They add weight and wind load support.

Renard said:
The dish and AZ/EL come with their own bolts/screw packs. Not sure if they will send out lag bolts. So you might need 10 3" lag bolts; six for dish mast, 2 per monopole.

Renard said:
Yes, again for D* spec you need that ground block. 2 dual with 17# AWG ground to ground block. #10 AWG green wire to ground location.

Renard said:
Make sure you have proper grounding supplies and adhere to the D* spec according to grounding and weatherproofing.

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Hey Renard,
My responses assume you're planning on having no more than 4 tuners into that second house (you mentioned only the HR2x, which would be 2 tuners). I'm also assuming you don't need OTA.

1. No multiswitch, no. The Slimline has 4 tuners built-in
2. The braces are monopoles, and yes. The length depends upon how it's attached. I have 2 shorts as I'm mounted on a roof ledge with the monopoles attached to the siding studs.
3. No hardware for the dish, but yes hardware for attaching the dish to the surface (typically lag bolts and I also always have added roof cement).
4. The connectors to the right of the Zinwell are grounding blocks, so yes.

I'm not familiar with that website, so maybe take a look at http://solidsignal.com as well. That's used heavily here.

Renard said:
Ok, here,s the deal

My questions are:

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Keep in mind that service at two locations at the same time requires two accounts, you can't just take a mirrored receiver from the first house.

Because of that, you might as well have DirecTV do the install and provide the dish. Just something to consider.

Carl

· Mentor
57 Posts
The monpoles that I got were adjustable in length. Lag screws should be 3/8 or 1/2 inch in diameter for dish mount and 1/4 inch for monopole.

· Godfather
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys

Now what about cable connections?

Do i have to plug 4 cables from to dish to the grounding block, then 2 cables out of the grounding block to the HR20?

To resume 4 cables out of the lnbs, then these 4 cables go to the grounding block (signal in) then 2 others cables out of the grounding block to the HR20 (in)

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Renard said:
?

To resume 4 cables out of the lnbs, then these 4 cables go to the grounding block (signal in) then 2 others cables out of the grounding block to the HR20 (in)
Yup, that's exactly how to do it in a professional way. :) Don't forget drip / service loops and you're all good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.