DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any risk in selling an old receiver on ebay?

I have my old Tivo unit that is no longer seeing any action and I would love to get a bit back for it. It was simply deactivated by the installer when they put in the HR21.

I would probably sell it without the access card, but besides that is there anything else to worry about/do for selling? Does it reflect badly on me at all if the receiver ID is activated on someone elses account?

·
Registered
725 Posts
i recently sold one. not a problem with these older models. as long as they aren't leased it's all good.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its owned, DSR708, so it is definitly owned as it was bought before they even did the leasing stuff.

Other thing is as far as the hack, it is hacked with a larger 200gb HDD and TivoWebPlus (nothing else), is there anything I need to do as far as that goes with selling on eBay?

Or is just starting it up, doing a full reset/restore from the tivo menu, and then taking out the access card good enough?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like they go for around $60 for stock ones, so with an upgraded HDD I figure I could get just a bit more.

Lets me get a bit back for what I put into it, and like you said prevents it just collecting dust.

·
Godfather
287 Posts
Interesting. I have an HDVR2 DirecTivo box that's been collecting dust since my HR21 was installed in January. It was working perfectly when I took it out of service. If I were to sell it, should it go with or without the access card?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
bb37 said:
Interesting. I have an HDVR2 DirecTivo box that's been collecting dust since my HR21 was installed in January. It was working perfectly when I took it out of service. If I were to sell it, should it go with or without the access card?
without. do not even mention the card. in fact say it comes without a card.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
bb37 said:
As Curt said, probably mention that it does NOT include the access card.

Some will post and say, "I sold it with the access card - even said so in the listing - and I had no problems." However, I've read numerous accounts of the listing getting pulled because it WAS being sold with the card, which is the propietary property of DirecTV. No sense poking the hornets' nest, and chances are highly likely (though again, some will post otherwise) that the buyer will have to get a new card from DirecTV to activate it anyway.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Actually, I’m in a big fight right now with eBay and D* over trying to sell a receiver (an owned R15). I did not realize I wasn’t supposed to include the access card, and D* caught that in the auction and cancelled it. I’ve bought and sold many old D* receivers (mostly UTV’s) through the years with access cards and had no problems.

I made several attempts to contact D* about this through the e-mail address provided by eBay. All I got were some poorly-worded and poorly-translated (I believe their legal department is overseas somewhere) form letters that were meaningless.

I don’t want to be the one to add it to the landfill, so I called to have a return box sent, and guess what? They won’t take it back because it’s owned! The D* rep said that I could sell it without the access card, so I listed it again with big notes about “NO ACCESS CARD” and they cancelled it again. Of course eBay claims they can’t help – all they do is refer me to the e-mail address that D* registered in their VeRO program.

I kept e-mail and even contact the Office of the President. I finally get a certified mailed letter from the legal department that said I was to cease and desist selling D* equipment unless I was an authorized reseller and that I was not to contact them again or they would sue me. The R15 sits in a box in my office waiting on the next yard sale. In fact, I’m about to have another one as soon as I get the last of the recordings off of it. And these are both owned – they were PP replacements for failed UTV’s.

So, be careful trying to sell D* equipment on eBay!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Keep the card, it is registered to your account.

The "newer" cards can be activated in your equipment if another card fails.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Yes it is but, as long as you own the receiver, the receiver can be transferred to another account with no issues.

DirecTV considers the card theirs and that you are just using it.

Cards can be transferred, from one account to another, but is against DirecTV's normal policy and not worth all the effort involved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.