DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senate Panel Calls Hearing on DirecTV's Sunday Ticket Package

Concerned that the NFL's exclusive Sunday Ticket package with DirecTV may be disenfranchising cable subscribers, the outgoing chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a last-minute hearing for Tuesday to talk about the package's antitrust implications.
Read the rest of the story at: TVWeek

Note:Thanks to a poster at SatelliteGuys for linking the article

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Link, Earl?? Also shouldnt they be calling the NFL on the carpet and not D*??

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DCSholtis said:
Link, Earl?? Also shouldnt they be calling the NFL on the carpet and not D*??
I am having a bad day with that...

· Icon
777 Posts
The government needs to keep their nose out of business. If DTV has an expensive exclusive deal with ST, more power to them.

Maybe the govt should force MLB to allow Sirius to carry MLB Home Plate, or force NASCAR to be carried on XM next year.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dervari said:
The government needs to keep their nose out of business. If DTV has an expensive exclusive deal with ST, more power to them.

Maybe the govt should force MLB to allow Sirius to carry MLB Home Plate, or force NASCAR to be carried on XM next year.
I love the lame-duck session.

Or Stern on XM... or VOOM-HD
Or allow other networks to cover the NCAA tourney...

3.5 Billion Is what DirecTv paid for the exclusive rights.

· Banned
614 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Senate Panel Calls Hearing on DirecTV's Sunday Ticket Package

Read the rest of the story at: TVWeek

Note:Thanks to a poster at SatelliteGuys for linking the article
I feel that the Senate has a good chance of forcing all carriers to be allowed to have NFL programming. Sunday ticket should not be restricted to just DirecTV. The NFL could make much more than 3.5 Billion if they opened up the market to Dish network and Cable TV companies including Verizon FiOS.:D

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
NFL Network and all locally broadcast games are available to all cable and satellite providers (or very nearly all - if they want it).

Why would D*'s exclusive contract with the NFL to carry ALL available games be any different than (as mentioned above) MLB on XM, VOOM channels on E* or (thank heavens!) Stern being exclusive to Sirius (I am an XM subscriber :))?

I don't see anything wrong with it myself. People are not being deprived of seeing their local teams play (blackouts tied to sell-outs not withstanding). Besides, if it was so bad for everybody, the NFL wouldn't be doing it, right?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congress has such great success forcing Cable-Companies to comply with Cable-Cards.... release their locks on exclusive contracts with local RSN's and other channels (such as Comcast Sports Net in the Philly area, and CLTV in Chicago).

I think it is just a Senator trying to get one last flash into the frying pan.

· Banned
614 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Congress has such great success forcing Cable-Companies to comply with Cable-Cards.... release their locks on exclusive contracts with local RSN's and other channels (such as Comcast Sports Net in the Philly area, and CLTV in Chicago).

I think it is just a Senator trying to get one last flash into the frying pan.
I agree... Competition is best right? The more availability drives down cost.

· Legend
129 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
The NFL could make much more than 3.5 Billion if they opened up the market to Dish network and Cable TV companies including Verizon FiOS.:D
Obviously the NFL disagrees with you. If they thought they could make more money openning up NFLST they would have done it. The NFL also has a pretty good track record of extracting the most possible dollars out of TV contracts.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
bigpuma said:
Obviously the NFL disagrees with you. If they thought they could make more money openning up NFLST they would have done it. The NFL also has a pretty good track record of extracting the most possible dollars out of TV contracts.
Pretty good? Yeah, I'd say :)

· Icon
545 Posts
I think the NFL has every right to negotiate with a single provider for the rights to ST!
The NFL has done a good job of slicing up the pie among networks!
DBS is the best source to distribute ST, be it either D* or E* to the entire country!

Congress should be working on a country wide video franchise for AT&T and VERIZON instead of trying to protect cable companies!

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
iceman2a said:
I think the NFL has every right to negotiate with a single provider for the rights to ST!
The NFL has done a good job of slicing up the pie among networks!
DBS is the best source to distribute ST, be it either D* or E* to the entire country!

Congress should be working on a country wide video franchise for AT&T and VERIZON instead of trying to protect cable companies!
Generally agree. I'd prefer that Congress get out of the pay TV regulation business entirely, myself, but I don't expect to be seeing flying pigs anytime soon or ice crystals forming in hell.

· Icon
545 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I feel that the Senate has a good chance of forcing all carriers to be allowed to have NFL programming. Sunday ticket should not be restricted to just DirecTV. The NFL could make much more than 3.5 Billion if they opened up the market to Dish network and Cable TV companies including Verizon FiOS.:D
NO, they could not! D* over pays for the rights to be "exclusive", if it was avlbl to all providers the value to each would be reduced!

And why shouldn't it be restricted to D*, they negotiated with the NFL for that "exclusive" rights! It's the NFL's product,they can distribute it as they see fit!
As long as there were no kick backs or bribes durring the process, then it's all fair!!!

· Hall Of Fame
1,393 Posts
The Senate need to do something about the SuperFan package, being I subscribe to ST and the HD package why do I need to pay extra $ to watch the games in HD? I don't need the mix and the redzone channels.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kevinwmsn said:
The Senate need to do something about the SuperFan package, being I subscribe to ST and the HD package why do I need to pay extra $ to watch the games in HD? I don't need the mix and the redzone channels.
Because that is what DirecTV wanted to charge for it.
Their service, their bill. It does cost them more to broadcast the Superfan in HD... (not even going into the shutdown of other channels in order to provide enough bandwith).

Why should we have to pay for ANY channel?

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.