DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Godfather
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does dish do with 622,211s that are sent back from the customers due to bad performance or no performance? Are they repaired and sent out to haunt someone else? Anyone know?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
Lets be realistic,
Scenario 1 you send a DVR back with a bad hard drive, They'll replace the drive, replace cosmetic items and test, if it passes it goes out as refurbed, if it has other problems they'll fix them until it passes.

Scenario 2, one of the tuners is bad, they'll fix it, test and ship out as a refurb.

I do somethin g of the sort for portable DVD players, Should the whole unit be scrapped because a DVD drive went bad or the screen has bad pixels, or the screen stays dark because of a bad inverter? We repair by replacing the bad part(s). The unit is then used to replace a bad unit under warranty. Often times it may be almost better than the well used one they returned since it now has a New drive or screen or mainboard or combo off these and updated firmware.

Do you expect the Car dealer to replace your car with a new one just because something broke under warranty? Yet I have customers come in that think they should get a new computer because the burner went bad on their 11 month old computer. Of course they also want a newer faster one too. Guess what it ain't happening. Warranty means repairing or replacing with equivilent. Used broken gets replaced with used refurb.

The condition of the ones we get in for warranty makes me wonder not why they went bad but how lasted as long as they did.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
calgary2800 said:
That might explain why in 2 months I had to send back a " new" 622 and 211. Both were just junk, picture freezes and lost power.
Well, if they were properly repaired and refurbished... you shouldn't have problems with them any more than you would a new unit. In fact, one could argue you should have less problems with a refurb. Why? Because the refurb already experienced its "infant mortality" failure and was repaired... so it should be good to go after that.

Again, this assumes proper repairwork was done.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
TBoneit said:
Lets be realistic,
Scenario 1 you send a DVR back with a bad hard drive, They'll replace the drive, replace cosmetic items and test, if it passes it goes out as refurbed, if it has other problems they'll fix them until it passes.

Scenario 2, one of the tuners is bad, they'll fix it, test and ship out as a refurb.

I do somethin g of the sort for portable DVD players, Should the whole unit be scrapped because a DVD drive went bad or the screen has bad pixels, or the screen stays dark because of a bad inverter? We repair by replacing the bad part(s). The unit is then used to replace a bad unit under warranty. Often times it may be almost better than the well used one they returned since it now has a New drive or screen or mainboard or combo off these and updated firmware.

Do you expect the Car dealer to replace your car with a new one just because something broke under warranty? Yet I have customers come in that think they should get a new computer because the burner went bad on their 11 month old computer. Of course they also want a newer faster one too. Guess what it ain't happening. Warranty means repairing or replacing with equivilent. Used broken gets replaced with used refurb.

The condition of the ones we get in for warranty makes me wonder not why they went bad but how lasted as long as they did.
Well said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.