DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I have an HR20-100, external 750 GB hard drive, latest software version...)

Hi, here's one that has me baffled. I have a Series Link set to record Modern Marvels... I forget which channel, but it's set to "both" (first run and repeat), 3 episodes, keep until I delete. The problem is, it just keeps recording more and more episodes of the show. A couple of times when I've checked over the last couple of weeks it's had ~8 episodes in the list, and I manually looked through them and deleted most of them I wasn't interested in, but then it just started recording more.

Any ideas? Is this a bug? I think we're also having problems with recordings not happening when they should, but I've been too busy to note the details. One time a show that should have recorded showed up in the history as "not recorded" due to "show no longer in guide" or something like that. But another one that my wife was pretty sure should have recorded didn't appear in the history at all.

Hope I'm not duplicating threads -- I did do a search and didn't run across anyone with the too-many-episodes-being-recorded problem.

·
Godfather
419 Posts
Just in case it isn't clear, it is not a bug for it to keep recording new episodes. That is the way it is intended to work - record any new ones but delete the oldest so you keep no more than 3 (or whatever you set it to keep). It should not keep more than the number you set it to keep, but is there any chance you recorded some of those manually, or had a previous series link that recorded some of them?

Anyway, just FYI. Some people would prefer that it stopped recording new ones once it hits the limit, or at least put in an option for one or the other. I'd probably do it differently for different shows. Once a week type shows I'd probably have it record the x new ones and delete the old, but syndicated shows that are on several times a day make it a pain to scroll through my To Do List.

·
Icon
540 Posts
jeff125va said:
Just in case it isn't clear, it is not a bug for it to keep recording new episodes. That is the way it is intended to work
I don't know how you can call it not a bug. If a show is marked keep until I delete, the receiver should never delete it.
If you want to keep a number of shows and dump the oldest one you just don't mark the show as KUID.
The way it is now KUID just prevent another series to delete a show but that's not the way that any reasonable person would think it works.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
skyboysea said:
I don't know how you can call it not a bug. If a show is marked keep until I delete, the receiver should never delete it.
If you want to keep a number of shows and dump the oldest one you just don't mark the show as KUID.
The way it is now KUID just prevent another series to delete a show but that's not the way that any reasonable person would think it works.
It is confusing, especially since the BLUE "keep" circle should mean different things, based on whether it is applied manually via the BLUE BUTTON or via the SL settings. Might want to check out this thread: http://dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=123974&highlight=kuid

Among others, I posted my understanding of how I think it nees to work there:

When telling a SERIES LINK to "KUID", you need to decide what should happen when the maximum # of episodes is reached, otherwise it will just keep adding episodes in conflict with the limit you set. Hence our Wish List request to specify whether, in that situation, the HR2x should "stop recording further episodes", or "delete the oldest" and keep recording newer episodes (essentially no different than KUID = "NO", except that if you further specify "AUTODELETE when disk full = "NO", these episodes in the PLAYLIST will be saved over others not marked as such).

The second instance is when you manually flag a show in the PLAYLIST as "KEEP", using the BLUE button. In this instance, that show should NEVER be deleted under any circumstance, except when the user manually deletes it. That's how it works now. If it's part of a 5 episode maximum SL, it becomes a 6th episode. And it's never deleted to make disk space.

The Wish List request I referred to is the following:

SERIES LINK setup options: RECORD: [First Run/Repeat/Both/All with Duplicates]; RECORD THIS TIME SLOT ONLY?: [Y/N]; RECORD THIS WEEK-DAY ONLY?: [Y/N]; KEEP AT MOST: [1/2/3/4/5/10/ALL]; WHEN LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Stop Recording]; AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: [Y/N]

/steve

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
skyboysea said:
And to make it even more confusing, autorecords stop recording when the limit is reach.
Machlis, to solve your problem you could change your SL to an autorecord. It worked for me.
Good work-around. One minor annoying issue with AUTORECORDS vs. SL's is they are stored in the PLAYLIST in folders named for the SEARCH terms, and not the matching shows, as expected. Hence another one of our Wish List requests! :)

AUTORECORD matches should be grouped in PLAYLIST folders named for the recorded shows' titles, just as if they were recorded by SERIES LINKS.

/steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.