DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Godfather
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have it setup to record on Fox 5, WTTG in DC, for first run only episodes and keep at most 5 episodes. But, its scheduling and recording all episodes playing on that channel... thats a lot of syndicated shows its recording... at least 2 a day. The guide does not specify first run or repeat...

I don't think I am doing anything wrong here? I've also tried this for Extreme Engineering on channel 76 and it wants to record all showings too.

Thoughts? :confused:

· Registered
16,423 Posts
This has been happening since day one of the R15 and keeps happening. Until they change the guide data to show "first run" or "repeat" it will continue to happen.

Why they can't just use the same guide data that they use for the DirecTiVos, which has the needed information, is beyond me.

Just set, in the case of the Simpsons, the SL to keep all episodes instead of just 5 and delete the repeats without watching them.

IMO, Simpsons are good even in repeat. :)

· Godfather
340 Posts
ITrot said:
So, I have it setup to record on Fox 5, WTTG in DC, for first run only episodes and keep at most 5 episodes. But, its scheduling and recording all episodes playing on that channel... thats a lot of syndicated shows its recording... at least 2 a day. The guide does not specify first run or repeat...

I don't think I am doing anything wrong here? I've also tried this for Extreme Engineering on channel 76 and it wants to record all showings too.

Thoughts? :confused:
Did you try canceling the series link and rescheduling it. I think I ran into this when I first got the HR20. I set a series to record and knew nothing about "first run" or "repeats". So the first program I set to record was set for all. So I had to cancel all recordings and reschedule it.

· Godfather
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twosted said:
Did you try canceling the series link and rescheduling it. I think I ran into this when I first got the HR20. I set a series to record and knew nothing about "first run" or "repeats". So the first program I set to record was set for all. So I had to cancel all recordings and reschedule it.
Several times actually.

And yes, it never hurts to watch a Simpsons episode for the 10th time!! :D :lol:

· Registered
4,880 Posts
This doesn't happen much at all here in the NY DMA. I've only had a handful of repeats show up in my ToDo list. Guess whichever source the guide data for WNYW comes from is pretty accurate.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
PoitNarf said:
This doesn't happen much at all here in the NY DMA. I've only had a handful of repeats show up in my ToDo list. Guess whichever source the guide data for WNYW comes from pretty accurate.
I have the same issue. Manual record every-Sunday at 8 is my solution.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
RAD said:
Same thing happens with a number of shows, not only the Simpsons but Cops and Stargate SG-1.
I've deleted several SG-1 episodes that were set to air at 6pm on SciFi. Something tells me they're the "First Run" of that particular repeat if that makes any sense.

· Godfather
340 Posts
Interesting. I just did a search and found that both programs, The Simpsons and Extreeme Engineering, don't show up as repeats. In other words, if you check the info for all of the showings of each show they are not listed as a repeat. Even though the airing on some of them show the year 2000. Sounds like you'll have to manually record.

· Mentor
39 Posts
I've had this problem since the HR 10-250. Set to record only new episodes of the Simpsons, and it records several re-runs per day. I'm convinced it's a Guide problem as supplied by Fox.

· Godfather
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PoitNarf said:
I've deleted several SG-1 episodes that were set to air at 6pm on SciFi. Something tells me they're the "First Run" of that particular repeat if that makes any sense.
That's what I thought too... but I know some of these have aired before (recently anyway)... seems crappy to have to manually record.:nono2:

· Legend
191 Posts
barryr said:
I've had this problem since the HR 10-250. Set to record only new episodes of the Simpsons, and it records several re-runs per day. I'm convinced it's a Guide problem as supplied by Fox.
You're right, it's been going on since the TiVo was released on D*. (I had it with a Hughes GXCEBOT TiVo) Look at another 'TiVo' site that caters to the 'Community' and you will see this issue has been around for very long. In fact, over there, it is named "The Simpsons Problem".

It has to be the guide data causing all the confusion and why it is most noticably on Simpsons is beyond me (other than it's one of the most syndicated shows) Setting the timer for Sunday 8-8:30 (your time zone may cary) is the safest bet. Football tends to screw that up anyway if you are in the Eastern or Central time zone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.