Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you kidding me?

I had the HR20, a standard DVR, and a standard reciever, new installation, done in September. We've had some hella wind over the past couple of weeks, and my dish is out of alignment, because none of my HD channels are working right, nor are many of the movie channels. Sunday ticket was unwatchable this weekend. I'm getting virtual 0 signal strength readings from a couple of the satellites.

The phone rep was nice enough to 'suggest' that I get the insurance so the service call would be free (not $70), and then 'suggested' that I cancel the insurance within 30 days. This is on equipment/installation whose warranty ran out 2 weeks ago (90 days).

Don't believe when DTV says they are cheaper than cable. They sure as hell ain't. Cable doesn't charge anything to come out and fix problems.

I've shelled out about $950 since September (and add $70 for the service call if not for the 'suggestion') for 4 months of TV....that's 11 months worth of Adelphia Digital Cable with an HDTV tuner.

Damned frustrating.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$450 for the initial equipment (basically $399 + tax for the HR20)
$400 for programming for 4 months (Sunday ticket + superfan including free Premire, also HDTV and DVR fees)

The monthly nut will drop considerably in January as I'm dropping down a couple packages and keeping just HD and probably HBO. Won't re-up for sunday ticket next year as I'm a Patriots season ticket holder, so it only works for half the season anyway.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first CSR did fine..she figured out a way for me to have it done for free. I doubt if her supervisor listens to the call, they would be very happy at her suggestion for me to cancel the insurance within 30 days so it was all free.

She was great; and even sounded a little frustrated at some of her company's practicies/policies. I rarely give a CSR guff, unless they are rude to me or are quite obviously unintelligent. I always strive to remember that my problem isn't the fault of the person I'm talking to.

I have not gone up on my roof yet; I have to imagine the dish wasn't properly aligned upon install or was not anchored enough. It mainly seems to be the MPEG 4 channels I'm having issue with...zero HD locals right now, but HD HBO/Showtime/ESPN come in fine. Listening to XM in the background right now, and it is choppy.

·
Icon
808 Posts
Did the CSR tell you that the insurance doesn't actually kick in until you've had it for 30 days? Based on your post I'd guess she left out the important detail.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
So you have two receivers that are leased and because they are out of warranty DTV wants to charge you for a service call? I don't think that's the real issue as your receivers are fine but your dish is hosed.

This is where DTV doesn't quite "get it" in regards to a leased program. Why do customers lease the receivers yet own the dish and multiswitch. Makes no sense unless you are like me in that I own all my receivers except one. In my case I do have the protection plan to cover all my receivers, my dish, multiswitch....everything. But if I were a new customer that leased everything I should lease everything. I should have to purchase a protection plan to cover the dish and multiswitch.

If someone with a backhoe tears up my cable, the cableco doesn't charge to fix it. But if your dish gets out of alignment DTV does charge for that. What's the difference?

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
captain_video said:
Did the CSR tell you that the insurance doesn't actually kick in until you've had it for 30 days? Based on your post I'd guess she left out the important detail.
Correct CV! Tmwes, are you willing to go 30 days without those channels?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
Dtv was giving the service call at a discounted price of $30 if the customer signed up for the protection plan. I'm not sure if the csr gave tmwes some bad info, but it doesn't sound right. Maybe one of the csr's on here can tell us what is currently correct?

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
IIRC there was also some minimum term for the protection plan when I signed up in July.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Its a cancellation fee of 10.00 if you don't keep the protection plan for 1 year. The rep may have waived the initial 30.00 fee...myself, I would keep the protection plan.

But, I would have stated NO WAY to having to pony up 70.00 for something just installed in Sept 06-Dec 06 if it was within 2 weeks of the cut off time. I usually would give the customer the service call for free if they signed up, and I really suggested they keep the extra 5.99 a month, its good peace of mind, and you don't have to resign another 2 years if a receiver needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

·
Legend
100 Posts
Hi,
That csr, would be in deeep waters if she was monitered. first of all as pointed out the protection plan doesn't take effect for 30 days. Second even if you had got the protection plan the initial service call would be $30 dollors, with an annual commitment. Third, there is also the early cancelation of $10 mentioned earlier.
If peoples assessment of how "smart" a csr is is how far they are willing to risk getting fired to make you happy. Then you'll end up with csr's who have no ability to help you because of a few who disregard company policies and cause directv to crack down on the one who are left.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Dalek1963 said:
Hi,
That csr, would be in deeep waters if she was monitered. first of all as pointed out the protection plan doesn't take effect for 30 days. Second even if you had got the protection plan the initial service call would be $30 dollors, with an annual commitment. Third, there is also the early cancelation of $10 mentioned earlier.
If peoples assessment of how "smart" a csr is is how far they are willing to risk getting fired to make you happy. Then you'll end up with csr's who have no ability to help you because of a few who disregard company policies and cause directv to crack down on the one who are left.
Hmm...actually, Directv does give CSR's some leeway based on the value of the customer, and the circumstances. If they did do as I suggested, but did not inform the customer correctly as to the early disconnect of that service charge, then that would be some 'splainin' to do, Lucy!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
tmwes,

The HR20 requires the AT9 (Ka/Ku, 5 LNB, or AU9, Slimline dish - many different names for essentially the same thing). Everything I've heard says the install of any 5 LNB dish should include monopoles - stabilizing poles necessary due to the size of the dish. Did your installation include monopoles (should look almost like a tri-pod)? If not, 90 days or not they did not complete the install properly and should complete it.

That being said, leased receivers are covered for damage or replacement. That coverage ends, though, at the inputs on the back of the receiver. Nothing else from there to the dish is covered by the lease. Like it or not, that's D*s policy. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it's their policy. Some people are fine with that and prefer to deal with any of the other issues (wiring, switches, dish, etc.) themselves.

The other option is to opt for coverage under the Protection Plan for $5.99 a month. D* policy is that when you sign up for the plan, coverage doesn't take effect until 30 days has elapsed. Someone with a problem who is not covered by the plan is usually (from what I've read here) given the option to sign up and only pay $30 for a service call for the problem they are calling about instead of having to pay the standard $70 service call fee (and not have to wait the 30 days).

I do believe, as AnonomissX mentioned, that there is a fee charged for cancelling within a year. The same such fee applies if upgrading your package and cancelling that within 30 days (such as adding HBO and cancelling a week later).

It comes down to deciding whether you would rather pay for coverage at $5.99 a month, or pay if you need any service calls when things go wrong.

Having said that, I believe you may find a CSR that is willing to wink at the two weeks from the 90 days. And if they did not install monopoles with your install, I don't think there should even be a question that the installation wasn't completed properly.

If the installation was completed properly and subsequent problems caused the misalignment (wind, tree falling on dish, ice sliding down the roof and nailing the dish, etc.), then, unfortunately, it really does become a chargeable service call.

Good luck.

·
Legend
118 Posts
Had a bad windstorm on Friday and my dish fell over and broke. Called D* expecting to have to pay but two separate CSRs (one in tech support and one in orders) told me no charge (had it installed in mid August). Got the new slimline dish installed today.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to attach anything to the apartment building so the dish is attached to a freestanding platform held down with cinder blocks. It ain't pretty but it's that or no dish. Added some additional weight today and some more blocks on the sides to keep it from coming up in case of more strong winds. The installer said it would stay there for 100 years. We'll see.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
I was told by D* that they wouldn't supply the new 5LNB slimline dish, only the larger one. Are you saying that they gave you the Slimline as part of a standard install? Did you have to pay more to get it?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Is there really a size difference in the Slimline versus AT9? I thought the Slimline weighed a bit less and the LNB assembly is all one piece rather than two, but I thought the dish itself was about the same size.

Am I wrong (again!!! :))?

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
JLucPicard said:
Is there really a size difference in the Slimline versus AT9? I thought the Slimline weighed a bit less and the LNB assembly is all one piece rather than two, but I thought the dish itself was about the same size.

Am I wrong (again!!! :))?
No, this time you are essentially correct (it's about the same width, but not as tall). Don't let that happen again :D

·
Legend
118 Posts
I was told by D* that they wouldn't supply the new 5LNB slimline dish, only the larger one. Are you saying that they gave you the Slimline as part of a standard install? Did you have to pay more to get it?
I called and told them my dish fell over and broke and I needed a new one. I told them I had a 5 LNB dish and that's what I needed to replace it. They sent out an installer and he arrived with a slimline 5LNB dish. I was surprised both by the fact that he brought it and by the fact that it isn't much smaller than the old one. I only even realized what it was because it said "slimline" on it.

I'm really glad that he brought this one though as the little side piece was what broke and fell off on the old dish, the new one is all one piece. I didn't pay a dime for anything though.

So anything special about this dish? I heard a long time ago that it would help with rain fade, is that the case?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.