DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Godfather
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had D a few years ago and at the time I don't even know if they offered the service plan. I do know I owned the equipment (I still have it). But I just got D again and now all my equipment is leased.

I have a HD DVR, SD DVR, and a HD receiver. That's some fairly big ticket items. I usually gamble and don't get extended warranties, service contracts, etc. and won't in this case either but I was wondering since the equipment is leased am I solely responsible and does the service plan apply to this lease equipment too?

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
With the protection if you need a replacement there is no charge. If you don't have the protection plan there is a $20 shipping charge.

If you have the protection plan you do not need to agree to a new contract. If you don't have it I thought you had to agree to a new contract but lately there have been a few reports saying that is not correct if the CSR does it right.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
crawdad62,

A lot more information is available if you search for "Protection Plan" and there is a very good (comprehensive?) thread that was started by "The Merg" that would be worth your looking at.

Welcome back, by the way! :welcome_s

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Although D* will generally replace a defective leased receiver for a $20 shipping fee, and while it has been reported that this should not extend your commitment, there is no officially published policy for this. Not only that, many people are reporting that D* is not being as quick to swap receivers without first requiring an $80 service visit to “verify” that it’s the receiver and something else like the dish, wiring, multiswitch or user error. Because of this, the PP may be something worth considering.

· Icon
528 Posts
rudeney said:
Although D* will generally replace a defective leased receiver for a $20 shipping fee, and while it has been reported that this should not extend your commitment, there is no officially published policy for this. Not only that, many people are reporting that D* is not being as quick to swap receivers without first requiring an $80 service visit to "verify" that it's the receiver and something else like the dish, wiring, multiswitch or user error. Because of this, the PP may be something worth considering.
I had this happen they insisted on the service call, I have the protection plan so it was no big deal. The tech came and installed a new receiver, he also told me they are getting a lot more of these types of service calls to verify problems.

· Hall Of Fame
2,584 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1700327 said:
BTW the protection plan covers everything including service calls, dish, cables, multi-switch and receivers.
I've got the SWM8 installed that I purchased on E-Bay. If I have the plan, would they replace it if it goes bad? Knowing that local installers don't normally carry it on their truck, I'd be concerned they'd bump me back to single tuners...

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
MikeW said:
I've got the SWM8 installed that I purchased on E-Bay. If I have the plan, would they replace it if it goes bad? Knowing that local installers don't normally carry it on their truck, I'd be concerned they'd bump me back to single tuners...
I hope the answer is yes but honestly I don't know. I don't recall seeing any reports of units being replaced at this point but also I don't remember seeing anyone try to call DIRECTV for a replacement. I am sure there will be day when they do and that day may already be here but I am not sure.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
MikeW said:
Until if/when the HSPs start stocking the SWM8's your SOL. Your on your own for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.