DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you are gonna think this is a way of trashing DirecTv, but it's not. D* is, by far, not my worst service provider. I include mail order pharmacies, cell phone providers, VOIP providers, other satellite and cable providers, any company that provides a service for you and your family.

If you just walk around your home you'll see many instances of services being provided. Electricity, gas, oil, quickly come to mind. Also the warranties of equipment are services provided to you as a consumer. Who backs up their warranties and who doesn't? We get our groceries delivered, another service.

D*'s Protection Plan is a perfect example of a service within a service.

If a moderator wants to find a better place to put this thread, please do so. I looked and couldn't find one, then I saw the current thread about the PP here and decided to give this a shot.

So, who is your best service provider and who is your worst? Are there some that are really noteworthy?

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spartanstew said:
Is there supposed to be a list or a poll or a question or a statement?
Thought that was clear, sorry. The question would be: Who are your best service providers and who are your worst?

Too many too list or put in a poll. Think about how many companies provide services for you in your home and your life.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
william8004 said:
Isn't there a risk of comparing apples to oranges?
I don't think so. A service provider is a service provider. Some are more important to your wellbeing than others, for instance, an online pharmacy that provides you with 90 day prescriptions for the same price that the corner pharmacy does is saving you a lot of money over a year, each year. But if they don't deliver on time...

Some are just luxuries. Do you actually need a full service cell phone to live? Do you need a TV provider to live?

Rich

·
Legend
166 Posts
rich584 said:
I don't think so. A service provider is a service provider. Some are more important to your wellbeing than others, for instance, an online pharmacy that provides you with 90 day prescriptions for the same price that the corner pharmacy does is saving you a lot of money over a year, each year. But if they don't deliver on time...

Some are just luxuries. Do you actually need a full service cell phone to live? Do you need a TV provider to live?

Rich
That's like comparing a Doctor checking my prostate to D* screwing up my bill. Wait a minute.... I guess it is the same thing. Nevermind.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,395 Posts
Well in the town I live in, the worst service provider I've dealt with in the past is Cable One. Outrageous prices, horrific install fees, disgusting caps on internet services and lax customer service.

Qwest is not far behind. It literally takes threats to get them to lift a finger when something goes wrong. Their internet service has been the same slow speed for me since I got it and there is almost no hope of an upgrade before something better becomes available from another company.

Another loser is Alltel. I havn't dealt with them directly, but a friend of mine had a hell of a time getting them to cooperate when a relative of hers was repeatedly stealing her service and racking up huge bills in her name.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Avder said:
Well in the town I live in, the worst service provider I've dealt with in the past is Cable One. Outrageous prices, horrific install fees, disgusting caps on internet services and lax customer service.

Qwest is not far behind. It literally takes threats to get them to lift a finger when something goes wrong. Their internet service has been the same slow speed for me since I got it and there is almost no hope of an upgrade before something better becomes available from another company.

Another loser is Alltel. I havn't dealt with them directly, but a friend of mine had a hell of a time getting them to cooperate when a relative of hers was repeatedly stealing her service and racking up huge bills in her name.
What's Alltel?

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
2,838 Posts
Best who I've worked with:

Sprint - Cell
DirecTV - TV
GTE (now part of Verizon) - Local Phone

Worst that I've worked with:

Comcast - TV and HSI
Ameritech - Local Phone

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
william8004 said:
That's like comparing a Doctor checking my prostate to D* screwing up my bill. Wait a minute.... I guess it is the same thing. Nevermind.
This is my eighth year with D* and never once have they screwed up a bill. Amazes me because I've gone thru many Ultimate TV DVRs and TiVos and I don't think anybody on the forum has had as many HRs as I have had and yet they've never made one mistake on my bill. Superb accounting dept.

As for the Dr. and your prostate, well, that's just about the nastiest thing a doctor can do in his office. Doctors and HMOs are service providers. Don't have anything bad to say about mine.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Avder said:
That cellphone company that uses that ********* mascot Chad. They were bought by Version last year I think.
Guess we don't have them here in NJ. Did you mean Verizon? If you did, prepare yourself. Great wireless network, pitiful support, terrible accounting department.

Rich

·
Godfather
382 Posts
rich584 said:
This is my eighth year with D* and never once have they screwed up a bill. Amazes me because I've gone thru many Ultimate TV DVRs and TiVos and I don't think anybody on the forum has had as many HRs as I have had and yet they've never made one mistake on my bill. Superb accounting dept.

As for the Dr. and your prostate, well, that's just about the nastiest thing a doctor can do in his office. Doctors and HMOs are service providers. Don't have anything bad to say about mine.

Rich
I have a very hard time believing D* never screwed your bill up in 8 years. I have mine screwed up at least 2-3 times a year. I've had to call 4 times over the last 2 months to fix a referral credit, and they still don't have it right.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
bigwad said:
I have a very hard time believing D* never screwed your bill up in 8 years. I have mine screwed up at least 2-3 times a year. I've had to call 4 times over the last 2 months to fix a referral credit, and they still don't have it right.
Haven't screwed mine up in 10+ years.

·
Legend
166 Posts
rich584 said:

Rich
It's about once every 2 years for me.

·
Godfather
338 Posts
Worst:
Chase Bank - compromised my ID
Countrywide - compromised my ID
Heartland Payment Systems - compromised my ID
AT&T - no 3G service for my area YET

Best:
D* - always up except for rain / snow fade.
Comcast HSI & Cable - internet down only for a few hours (total) over the course of 6 years.
Local Garbage Service - They run like clockwork

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.