DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My install is supposed to happen this Friday 11/10 (we'll see about that). My question is this. I have the 3LNB dish now, and I have three RG6 lines running down into my basement and then two go up to my current DirecTivo while the third goes to my bedroom. When they install the new dish can they put the multi switch in the basement or does it have to be on the dish? I would like to add another run to my bedroom (2 tuner Tivo) but don't want Apex to do it since I don't want to pay for it.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Part of my install was to relocate my old DSR6000 from the living room to my daughter's room. I had two lines running from my 5-year old dual-LNB dish to a multiswitch in the basement. From there, I had two lines to the master BR, two to the living room and one each to three kids' rooms. For my HR20 install, they replaced my dish with the AT-9, ran four new lines to the multiswitch (it was a Zinwell WB68 already), then added a second line to my daughter's room for the Tivo that got moved there. No additional charge.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LameLefty said:
Part of my install was to relocate my old DSR6000 from the living room to my daughter's room. I had two lines running from my 5-year old dual-LNB dish to a multiswitch in the basement. From there, I had two lines to the master BR, two to the living room and one each to three kids' rooms. For my HR20 install, they replaced my dish with the AT-9, ran four new lines to the multiswitch (it was a Zinwell WB68 already), then added a second line to my daughter's room for the Tivo that got moved there. No additional charge.
Does the AT9 require 4 lines to the multiswitch?

·
Godfather
488 Posts
Watch out for Apex. If you don't need the multiswitch, (you don't with only two receivers) they will not install it. Make sure you at least get one before they leave.

They tried that with me while I was out of town and I had them come back to bring me the switch.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jgrade said:
Watch out for Apex. If you don't need the multiswitch, (you don't with only two receivers) they will not install it. Make sure you at least get one before they leave.

They tried that with me while I was out of town and I had them come back to bring me the switch.
I will be reactivating the Tivo I have downstairs at some point so I will need the switch :)

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
The AT9 does require 4 lines to the multiswitch.

I would reactivate the Tivo now rather than waiting, so that you have that as a specific requirement for hookup when they come to put in the AT9. Do you have a Tivo "downstairs" that is currently not active at all? That's what it sounds like. What I would suggest is having the HR20 installed where you want it, then have that Tivo moved downstairs and installed - Apex should run all the lines necessary for that. Plus you have another Tivo in your bedroom with one line, so you now have a requirement for five lines (2 to the HR20, 2 to the Tivo that was moved, and 1 to the existing unit in your bedroom), so they will have to install a multiswitch. When they are all done, all you will need to do is run one more line to your bedroom (if you want to) to get the second tuner running there.

Carl

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
carl6 said:
The AT9 does require 4 lines to the multiswitch.

I would reactivate the Tivo now rather than waiting, so that you have that as a specific requirement for hookup when they come to put in the AT9. Do you have a Tivo "downstairs" that is currently not active at all? That's what it sounds like. What I would suggest is having the HR20 installed where you want it, then have that Tivo moved downstairs and installed - Apex should run all the lines necessary for that. Plus you have another Tivo in your bedroom with one line, so you now have a requirement for five lines (2 to the HR20, 2 to the Tivo that was moved, and 1 to the existing unit in your bedroom), so they will have to install a multiswitch. When they are all done, all you will need to do is run one more line to your bedroom (if you want to) to get the second tuner running there.

Carl
I would rather wait and do it myself as I don't want them doing any runs in my house. Wish I would've asked this question a week ago so I could have run the other line prior to having my new siding put on.

·
Godfather
488 Posts
It really does not matter weather you need the switch at this point or not, it is part of the install package and shopuld be installed. The first Apex guy did not even try to activate the HR-20 or check if any of the other receivers were working before working (ccording to my wife). Keep on top of them and don't let them leave without hooking up the switch. It may not be required now, but it does not matter.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jgrade said:
It really does not matter weather you need the switch at this point or not, it is part of the install package and shopuld be installed. The first Apex guy did not even try to activate the HR-20 or check if any of the other receivers were working before working (ccording to my wife). Keep on top of them and don't let them leave without hooking up the switch. It may not be required now, but it does not matter.
Install is set for 1-5p and I plan to be there for it with all of the install issues I have read about....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.