DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Legend
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on whether I should "move" to SF or Sac? Any difference in quality of locals?

Thanks

Mitch

·
Icon
643 Posts
I can't tell you about the picture quality, but I can tell you that the SF Locals package includes a lot of really excellent PBS channels, that carry interesting programming not on the national PBS feeds. Channel 54 (KTEH) was one of the first US channels to air shows like The Prisoner, Blake's 7, Doctor Who, and some more obscure ones like Star Cops - and that's just the SF shows (no pun intended).

A total of 5 PBS channels is included in the 20 channel SF locals package (quite a deal at only 25 cents per channel), as well as interesting international channels like Channel 26.

While KVIE (Sac PBS) is not bad, it has only one-fifth the hours per day.

But, if you are only looking for the best quality Prime Time Network PQ, then this may be too much information. :)

·
Legend
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually that is great info. I didn't know what I was missing! I am interested in prime time PQ though.

Mitch

·
Mentor
39 Posts
I currently get the Sacramento locals. The Sacramento Fox local is not broadcast in HD by Dish. Can anybody tell me if the SF Fox is broadcast in HD?

Thanks

And also if my dma would allow me to switch to the SF locals instead of Sac.
(may have to call Dish to get this answer )

Thanks again

·
Godfather
430 Posts
yes, dish network has the san francisco fox affiliate in HD (see dishchannelchart.com)

you are never allowed to receive locals from a region where you don't live. hence the need to "move".

·
Icon
844 Posts
However, Sacramento does have an independent (formerly WB) station in HD on Dish. Although I have no idea just how much HD this independent station is broadcasting.

·
Legend
238 Posts
And for some reason, the CBS affilliate in Sac broadcasts prime time an hour earlier than SF. That is, prime time programming begins at 7pm instead of 8pm

·
AllStar/Supporter
438 Posts
Doug E said:
And for some reason, the CBS affilliate in Sac broadcasts prime time an hour earlier than SF. That is, prime time programming begins at 7pm instead of 8pm
yeah, well I used to get it 3 hours early before distants were turned off. :mad: and SFO is a OO market too.

:grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
KOVR was doing the "early prime time" before CBS/Viacom bought it. After it became CBS Owned and Operated, they decided to continue that schedule. While I had KCBS from LA, it was handy to avoid conflicts when multiple recordings were needed at the same time.

·
Icon
643 Posts
Any way to check which stations are O&O ?

·
Icon
844 Posts
Lyle_JP said:
However, Sacramento does have an independent (formerly WB) station in HD on Dish. Although I have no idea just how much HD this independent station is broadcasting.
Well, I checked into this. Looks like KQCA is now a MyTV affiliate, and the two hours of MyTV programming a night are in HD, as is a show called Eye For an Eye, which comes on at 1:00 AM, and looks to be a mix of the People's Court and Fear Factor. Television is truly bizzare these days.

·
Icon
643 Posts
Thanks, Jo !

Okay, that tells us:

SF has O&O from ABC, NBC, CBS and CW (KTVU-Fox is not O&O)

Sacramento only has O&O from CBS and CW

NY and LA have O&O from ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and My.

Atlanta (as provided by NPS) has O&O from Fox (evidently the best PQ on NPS and roughly equal PQ to Dish's former NY & LA Fox feeds). Atlanta has O&O from CW (not on NPS).

·
Legend
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kstuart said:
Thanks, Jo !

Okay, that tells us:

SF has O&O from ABC, NBC, CBS and CW (KTVU-Fox is not O&O)

Sacramento only has O&O from CBS and CW

NY and LA have O&O from ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and My.

Atlanta (as provided by NPS) has O&O from Fox (evidently the best PQ on NPS and roughly equal PQ to Dish's former NY & LA Fox feeds). Atlanta has O&O from CW (not on NPS).
Why does it matter?

Mitch

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
CABill said:
KOVR was doing the "early prime time" before CBS/Viacom bought it. After it became CBS Owned and Operated, they decided to continue that schedule. While I had KCBS from LA, it was handy to avoid conflicts when multiple recordings were needed at the same time.
Viewers hoped that once CBS took over the operations of KOVR they would air primetime from 8-11pm once again but that didn't happen. They did however switch weekend primetime to 7pm on Saturdays and 6pm on Sundays. They had been airing the weekend primetime at the normal Pacific time zone start time and local news at 11pm.

They also did not pick up the daytime show Guiding Light that had not been airing in Sacramento. They claim that viewers actually sent feedback not wanting them to carry it. It is ironic they are a network O&O and do not carry all CBS programs and they are the only market where Guiding Light does not air.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.