DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have one of the small round dishes currently. The installers (3+ years ago) installed in on our shake roof in the only place that we can get a clear line of sight.

DTV installers came out last week to put in new Ka/Ku (?) dish for HD and said no way. They explained that our current dish shouldn't be on the shake roof, and the new dish can't be mounted.

I either need to find a custom installer to mount the new dish, or it's off to Comcast I go. I've been really happy with DTV, so I'd like to stay. How do I find an installer??

I live in Portland, OR

Thanks

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonscott87 said:
How about a pole in your backyard? If you get a line of site on your roof, follow that same line of sight into your backyard and put a pole up.

Not sure if you can do that but give it a try, that's what I did.
won't work. The roof location is on the side of the house, and there are no other clear spots.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
illinileo said:
We have one of the small round dishes currently. The installers (3+ years ago) installed in on our shake roof in the only place that we can get a clear line of sight.
So the sun never shines in your yard or the outside walls of the house? Pole mounts can be a few inches to several feet tall. Wall or eave mounts are often preferred to roof mounts.
How do I find an installer??
I recommend that you start with the telephone directory. Visit the establishment and see if they will let you speak with an installer. You need to make sure that they are authorized by DirecTV to better your chances of getting at least some reimbursement.

· Banned
614 Posts
illinileo said:

DTV installers came out last week to put in new Ka/Ku (?) dish for HD and said no way. They explained that our current dish shouldn't be on the shake roof, and the new dish can't be mounted.

I either need to find a custom installer to mount the new dish, or it's off to Comcast I go. I've been really happy with DTV, so I'd like to stay. How do I find an installer??

I live in Portland, OR

Thanks
It should be alright with any roof that is in good condition. I don't think it matters if it's shake materials or not. Let the installer do an evaluation, and make the determination.

If it turns out it can't be mounted on the shake roof, then try pole mounting, which many installers have been doing, or on the side of the house. I'm sure the installer will figure something out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.