DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting to make the move to HD for some time. I love my Sony SAT T-60 SD box. I thought going with the H20 would be the way to go, but now I'm not sure. Is it worth getting the H10-250 and using an OTA antenna for the local HD signals?

Thanks

· Banned
686 Posts
illinileo said:
I've been waiting to make the move to HD for some time. I love my Sony SAT T-60 SD box. I thought going with the H20 would be the way to go, but now I'm not sure. Is it worth getting the H10-250 and using an OTA antenna for the local HD signals?

Thanks
If you get a good deal on the HR10, and you have solid OTA reception, I can't think of any reason you'd want to prefer an HR20.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the store said $299 but they might sell for less since it's the last one.

I don't currently have an OTA antenna. Can I get one that I can re-use on the new dish when I have it upgraded?

· Banned
686 Posts
The OTA antenna is entirely seperate from your sat dish.
Are you positive you're going to get solid OTA reception? If not, you'll probably be happier with the HD Locals on the HR20.

· AllStar
59 Posts
illinileo said:

Thanks
I guess it depends on how badly you want OTA. Rumor is that OTA will be enabled by christmas. If you can live with ~2 months of MPEG-4 locals, then I'd go with the HR20.

For about the same money, I'd get the HR20, epically considering what features they will have for it down the road.

· Banned
686 Posts
illinileo said:
Not positive, but neighbors get good reception. I'm in Portland, and D* only had NBC and FOX in HD now.
If you're going to get better/more programming via OTA than HD Locals, the winner is the HR10, hands down.

I tolerate the HR20 since my NBC reception OTA sucks. Even then, I think I've probably had less problems with NBC OTA than the NBC HD Local. :(

· Banned
614 Posts
illinileo said:

Thanks
You can get a new HR20 from Best Buy, Circuit City, or directly from *DirecTV for $299.00. The OTA features will be enabled very soon. Plus by the end of next year all HD will be MPEG4 so you might as well get the latest now. Next year the HR10-250 will not work for HD because of the change from MPEG2 to MPEG4 as reported in many threads.:nono2:
*DirecTV may give it to you for only $99 for update, and maybe nothing at all if your a preferred customer.

· Legend
152 Posts
If you are a customer in good standing with D*, call them up their retention department and tell them you want to switch to HD. Whichever one you decide on, you should NOT have to pay for it. At the least, they will give you program credits for what you paid. DO NOT PAY FOR LEASED EQUIPMENT!

· Banned
1,199 Posts
hadji said:
If you are a customer in good standing with D*, call them up their retention department and tell them you want to switch to HD. Whichever one you decide on, you should NOT have to pay for it. At the least, they will give you program credits for what you paid. DO NOT PAY FOR LEASED EQUIPMENT!
I second that. Do not pay, so if you have issues, you won't care as much. Take it from someone who has had issues, and didn't pay (and so far, as the old joke goes, mine has been worth every penny).

· Banned
1,614 Posts
I paid $300 for my HR20 and I also feel it's worth every penny.

I'm sure glad I talked myself out of buying an HR10 for $1000 when they first came out. By the time the HR10 price dropped I heard about DIRECTV developing their own HD DVR so I waited for the HR20 to come out.

· Banned
686 Posts
glennb said:
I paid $300 for my HR20 and I also feel it's worth every penny.

I'm sure glad I talked myself out of buying an HR10 for $1000 when they first came out. By the time the HR10 price dropped I heard about DIRECTV developing their own HD DVR so I waited for the HR20 to come out.
You really did luck out by waiting for the HR20.
If you had gotten an HR10 last year, you would have had much higher expectations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.