DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Slim 5lnb dish with multiple DVR’s connected. 4 lines come from the dish and each are split into 2. Those 8 enter a multiswitch which gives me 16 outputs. I’m currently using all 16 with a need for 4 more outputs. I’m about to renovate the basement giving me full access to the cabling. I’m thinking about switching to SWM but I have a few questions. I’m running 4 HR24’s, 3 HR23’s, 2 HR22’s and 2 HR21’s. One of the HR21’s will be going away and the other will more than likely be upgraded with an HR24. I have cat6 drops at all receiver locations connected via a gigabit switch.

How many lines would need to be run from the new SWM compatible dish to accommodate 10 DVR’s?

Does it only require 1 line per receiver from the multiswitch?

Can I get away with a 16 port SWM multiswitch to feed 10 dual tuner DVR’s.

I assume the network is broadcast over the coax as well. Will I notice any speed degradation from my current gigabit network?

DTV activated multiroom viewing for me a while back and it’s been great, will there be any added features or benefits using their SWM solution?

If I call DTV, will they be able to help with this request or do I need to contact Solid Signal. Whenever I speak to a CSR, it always seems like my setup is a little beyond what they're trained to handle and i have to help them figure out what i need. LOL

As always, thanks for any advice or sugestions!

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
One SWM16 wouldn't do it, unless you set four DVRs to use only one tuner. At 10 DVRs, you have 20 tuners.

What you would need is two SWM16s, I believe the SWM32 is not generally recommended due to some limitations in terms of the DECA cloud.

Not sure if you'd really see much benefit though. What you have is unsupported, but that doesn't always mean much. If you were to get an HR34 or H25 (probably some other boxes in the future), SWM would be required. You also would be able to get rid of the BBCs, but the non HR24s would need a DECA box.

But, if you need to make a change anyway, now is the time to do it. Each DVR would need one coax cable. Keep in mind though, if you do it yourself, it's still unsupported. If you hire an authorized installer that is familiar with the more complex setups, that is the best option.

Check out the bottom diagram here
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2934386&postcount=6
(ignore the World Direct and 72.5 dishes and lines)

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
Wow that's a lot of receivers!

A SWM16 will not work for you - you'll need a SWM32 but that is like having 4 SWM8.

I'd do a single home run cable to a central location for each receiver. You'll need 4 from the dish itself.

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
I personally wouldn't bother with the deca adapters if you haven't had any trouble using your 'unsupported' Ethernet setup. You can always add them later if needed but the cost of doing it doesn't really get you anything.

The biggest advantage to going SWM in your case is that you only need one coax per receiver.

If you want to go the DECA route you'll need 7 DECA adapters. I believe you'll also need 4 DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kits to connect the 4 separate DECA networks to an Ethernet switch... The DECA gods here can fill you in on the details but again, I would stick with your current MRV setup....

**EDIT

Actually if you do two SWM16s as dpeters11 suggests I think you'll only need two cinema connection kits because you'll only have two DECA clouds to connect.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
20 tuners can be done [and has].
Two SWiM-16s can handle 32 tuners.
Now the diagram linked earlier isn't currently a supported method.
The DirecTV approved method is to use 2-way power passing splitters to feed both SWiM-16s.

The trade-off is whether to attenuate both SWiM-16s equally [around 5-6 dB], or to have one SWiM-16 receiving full signal and the second [cascaded] one receiving 10 dB lower. In this case, rainfade would affect the second SWiM before the first.

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
veryoldschool said:
20 tuners can be done [and has].
Two SWiM-16s can handle 32 tuners.
Now the diagram linked earlier isn't currently a supported method.
The DirecTV approved method is to use 2-way power passing splitters to feed both SWiM-16s.

The trade-off is whether to attenuate both SWiM-16s equally [around 5-6 dB], or to have one SWiM-16 receiving full signal and the second [cascaded] one receiving 10 dB lower. In this case, rainfade would affect the second SWiM before the first.
VOS - how does DECA fit into two SWiM-16s or 1 SWiM-32?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Mike Greer said:
VOS - how does DECA fit into two SWiM-16s or 1 SWiM-32?
Each -16 would need a CCK to bridge to the home network and through this to each other. The two outputs of the -16 are bridged internally for DECA.
The -32 has four completely separate outputs, so each would need a CCK.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Mike Greer said:
I personally wouldn't bother with the deca adapters if you haven't had any trouble using your 'unsupported' Ethernet setup. You can always add them later if needed but the cost of doing it doesn't really get you anything.

The biggest advantage to going SWM in your case is that you only need one coax per receiver.

If you want to go the DECA route you'll need 7 DECA adapters. I believe you'll also need 4 DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kits to connect the 4 separate DECA networks to an Ethernet switch... The DECA gods here can fill you in on the details but again, I would stick with your current MRV setup....
Normally I'd agree with not messing with it. But if he needs more outputs anyway and doing reno, if he's ever going to do it, this would be the time.

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Normally I'd agree with not messing with it. But if he needs more outputs anyway and doing reno, if he's ever going to do it, this would be the time.
Oh, I agree with doing SWiM - I just wouldn't bother with the DECA stuff since he already has an Ethernet network that I assume is functioning as it should for MRV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.