DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 HR24 DVR's and 3 H24 and 1 H21 in my with an SWM dish and 8 port multi-switch. I have the whole home network set up as well to allow us to view the DVR content throughout the house. I was thinking about upgrading one of the HR24's to the HR34 but had a few questions?

1. Will I need to change my dish or the multi-switch or both?

2. Can I move my external Hard Drive from the esata on the HR24 over to the HR34 and still view my saved programming?

Thanks All

· Registered
180 Posts
bills said:
just my opinion,i would stay with the hr24,the hr34 is a junk receiver in my opinion, i have had problems from day one. just my opinion again...
You must have a defective HR34. I have a H24, a HR24, and a HR34 and they all work perfectly and play nicely together. It may have to do with the fact I installed all of the wiring inside of my condo/townhouse myself. :)

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
Reyfam said:
I currently have 2 HR24 DVR's and 3 H24 and 1 H21 in my with an SWM dish and 8 port multi-switch. I have the whole home network set up as well to allow us to view the DVR content throughout the house. I was thinking about upgrading one of the HR24's to the HR34 but had a few questions?

1. Will I need to change my dish or the multi-switch or both?

2. Can I move my external Hard Drive from the esata on the HR24 over to the HR34 and still view my saved programming?

Thanks All
You'll need a SWM16 multiswitch since you'll be going from 8 tuners to 11. But DirecTV will install that when you upgrade to the 34.
Recorded programs can only be played on the DVR they were recorded on, so "no" to answer your second question.

· MRVing
3,781 Posts
bills said:
just my opinion,i would stay with the hr24,the hr34 is a junk receiver in my opinion, i have had problems from day one. just my opinion again...
If you move to Dundee it'll work better. ;)

While DirecTV is constantly updating DVR firmware the HR2x stuff is more mature than the HR34. The trade-offs of course are the extra tuners, PiP, ability to scan for all available OTA channels (when using am AM21, important for those who live near Canada),and RVU capability. The HR34 will improve as time goes on.

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Yes, you should

· Registered
9,461 Posts
bills said:
I have had no exceptional problems with my HR34 and it is used as my primary DVR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.