DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that the current sign up offer would end in Feb '07.
I was going to switch to Dish mostly because my Time Warner set up has me bucking heads with their very screwed up customer support.
Getting the most HD channels was always a compelling reason anyway. I signed up with Voom a month before they went outta business! Service problems with Time Warner have pushed my brain over the edge!
In fact I used to have D* until I got an HD TV. The picture difference side by side on my Aquos showed the Time Warner pic was better, clearer, brighter and the cost of the DVR was a monthly fee vs a grand for buying their D* HD-DVR at the time-2004. A no brainer for me at the time. I have a SA-8399 HD-DVR now.
Anyway I am getting a bunch of credit and free services from Time Warner now that my service issues have been resolved (mostly). It will take at least 3 months to use them up so I'm not so 'eagar' to jump immediately since they are compensating me for the aggravation they caused me.
I have a few questions before I make the move.
I'm in Manhattan NY and from reading these forums seem to need 2 dishes to get the Platnum HD pkg to 'see' all the birds I need to 'see'.
Is this correct? If so. Which ones and what birds?
Is anyone in Manhattan using rabbit ears for OTA HD locals or will I need a roof antenna. I'm on the ground floor in the east 20's.
Will my Vonage work as a 'phone line' connection to Dish? I've read conflicting stories on this.
What is the difference if I don't take the 18 month commitment really? I feel uncomfortable commiting for over 12 months!
If I don't commit can I use a Club Dish # to get the $49.95 fee waived?
I'm getting a ViP 622 for 1 HDTV with the Platnum pkg and want to know if there are any reasons to get the 'locals' pkg with it if I can get the OTA locals with an antenna?
And finally installation. My D* install guy was a whacko! How do I get the 'best' installer I can?
I have called Dish and they are pretty clueless so I figured the people here that have the experience are the best suited to answer these seemingly simple questions.
Thanx to all that reply!!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,907 Posts
tinhead said:
I was told that the current sign up offer would end in Feb '07.
That is the latest information that we have. The offer may change, or the current offer may be extended.
I'm in Manhattan NY and from reading these forums seem to need 2 dishes to get the Platnum HD pkg to 'see' all the birds I need to 'see'.
You need a dish for 61.5W and a standard Dish500 for 110W and 119W.
Will my Vonage work as a 'phone line' connection to Dish? I've read conflicting stories on this.
YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).
What is the difference if I don't take the 18 month commitment really?
Ask Dish Network about that. I suspect that you won't get DHPP if you go that route.
If I don't commit can I use a Club Dish # to get the $49.95 fee waived?
Ask Dish. I suspect that you cannot.
I'm getting a ViP 622 for 1 HDTV with the Platnum pkg and want to know if there are any reasons to get the 'locals' pkg with it if I can get the OTA locals with an antenna?
If you want guide data, you'll want to subscribe to locals. If you might want to record two broadcast channels at once, you'll want locals.
And finally installation. My D* install guy was a whacko! How do I get the 'best' installer I can?
Go to a storefront that does their own installs and see if you can find someone that you're comfortable with.
I have called Dish and they are pretty clueless so I figured the people here that have the experience are the best suited to answer these seemingly simple questions.
CSRs are paid to read scripts, not know everything. Independent thought and personal theories don't lend themselves well to this occupation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.