DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Legend
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's snowing here in the Chicago area as it tends to do from time to time, and my signals are nearly all gone:

101--All 0s
110--All 0s
119--51-70
99--0s
103--35 0 31 0 33 0

Local HDs are there but not great, no D* HD channels, none in the 300s. :confused:

I've been a D* customer for over 5 years and do NOT remember snow nearly wiping everything out. I understand there will be some loss in signal strength, but this can't be right can it??

HELP... !

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
All signals are good for me. For the first time in years all of our schools are closed but not my HR20! It was all of the ice and then the snow.
- Craig

UPDATE:
Due to all of the ice and snow on the power lines, our power keeps flickering. Even off for a second a couple of times so far. Lots of thunder earlier. The new UPS's are doing their jobs on the PC and home theater!

I will place a bet that D* will get a ton of calls today and tonight from the midwest saying their HR20's are having problems and asking what to do about their partial recordings and their lockups! You will see it on this forum as well.

The CSR's scripts will not tell them what they really need to say:

People: Crack open your wallets and spend $60 on a UPS! (500+ Joules, 500+ V-A, at BB, and other stores)

The truth lies not in our satellites but in ourselves.

(at least some of the time, with apologies to Bill Shakespear)

·
DBSTalk Club Member
527 Posts
I have zeros across the board for national transponders. The only winter outages I've ever had were from ice on the LNBs. Snow has never been a problem.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
A UPS won't solve low satellite signal strengths . . . :rolleyes:

(Besides, some of us live in areas with underground utilities and have lost power like three times in five years).

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Arlington Heights: Signals that were in the mid to high 90s are in the mid to high 80s right now.

I have not brushed the dish off yet, and snow continues to fall quite heavily.

No problems on any channels I have tried so far.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
The AT9 didn't make any difference in snow outages for us down in NM. Our dishes face "up" more than most; so, snow is pretty much guaranteed to accumulate.

Local hardware stores sell a "dish brush" with an extendable handle that telescopes out to a 10-foot broom! Got mine out from the garage for the 1st time, this week.

·
Godfather
394 Posts
My signal strengths are just fine. Do you have signal loss on all your receivers? Or just on the HR20? If it is all the receivers, either you need to wipe the dish down OR make a fine tune adjustment (dont do it today in this weather.)

If it is just your HR20, you might try running guided setup again.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
This snow/slop we got in Chicago overnight tonight, is the worst for the dishes...

It sticks like glue to the dish, and just cakes on.... and does eventually lead to signal issues.

·
Legend
132 Posts
My guess is either the snow/rain mix is accumulating on the dish or the high north wind is driving the freezing rain at an angle directly onto the lnbs. Not pretty.

·
Legend
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
This snow/slop we got in Chicago overnight tonight, is the worst for the dishes...

It sticks like glue to the dish, and just cakes on.... and does eventually lead to signal issues.
I guess I'll have to look when I get home at the end of the day, but frankly I'd be glad if it was just accumulation and not an alignment issue. I've already had one realignment when mere rain was causing me to lose all non-local HD channels.

Is it pretty safe to brush it without fear of knocking it out of alignment?

I'm in Downers Grove (straight west of Chicago) and I really hope things look better when I get home). I lived in MN--which has much worse weather than IL normally--with D* and never had a problem like this, so this not making me confident. While I'm willing to brush the snow off, I live in the midwest and don't really feel like I should have to climb up onto my slippery roof every time it snows... :nono2:

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
While I'm willing to brush the snow off, I live in the midwest and don't really feel like I should have to climb up onto my slippery roof every time it snows...
I don't blame you - have you considered a dish heater?

·
Godfather
262 Posts
Pretty thick in Bartlett and amazingly, the dish is pretty caked with snow and signal is fine. Do, however, brush off if possible before temp drops in to the low 20's and makes the slop like concrete...

I have never, and still have not, had signal problems due to snow in my 6 years with D* living in Chicago area...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
uteotw said:
I guess I'll have to look when I get home at the end of the day, but frankly I'd be glad if it was just accumulation and not an alignment issue. I've already had one realignment when mere rain was causing me to lose all non-local HD channels.

Is it pretty safe to brush it without fear of knocking it out of alignment?

I'm in Downers Grove (straight west of Chicago) and I really hope things look better when I get home). I lived in MN--which has much worse weather than IL normally--with D* and never had a problem like this, so this not making me confident. While I'm willing to brush the snow off, I live in the midwest and don't really feel like I should have to climb up onto my slippery roof every time it snows... :nono2:
It is not "snow" persay... Snow will not normally accumulate on the dish face, the arm... yes, but not on the Dish part.

It is this wet sloppy stuff at the start of the season... that sticks to everything...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,070 Posts
greywolf said:
I have zeros across the board for national transponders. The only winter outages I've ever had were from ice on the LNBs. Snow has never been a problem.
same here. Also the clock on my HD DVR is screwed up, and that has never happened.

·
AllStar
94 Posts
I've heard theres covers that can go over your dish and not interfere with your signal. Has anyone tried those?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It is not "snow" persay... Snow will not normally accumulate on the dish face, the arm... yes, but not on the Dish part.

It is this wet sloppy stuff at the start of the season... that sticks to everything...
I get this every start and end of winter. That first and last snow tend to be rain turning to slush turning to snow. Nasty accumulations on cars, road signs, and, alas, dishes. Even vertical surfaces. If my dish were not at a convenient level to brush off, I would immediately get a heater.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
psweig said:
same here. Also the clock on my HD DVR is screwed up, and that has never happened.
That is because the HR20 get's it time from the Sats... so if you are having signal issues, your clock is going to be screwy.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Johnboat said:
I've heard theres covers that can go over your dish and not interfere with your signal. Has anyone tried those?
I don't know if they have covers for the AT9's yet.

In general, they work "okay" but unless you are having tremedous issues, and the dish is VERY difficult to get to... I wouldn't recommend them.

·
Legend
132 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:

I will place a bet that D* will get a ton of calls today and tonight from the midwest saying their HR20's are having problems and asking what to do about their partial recordings and their lockups! You will see it on this forum as well.

The truth lies not in our satellites but in ourselves.

(at least some of the time, with apologies to Bill Shakespear)
Obviously, D* can do nothing about the weather, but they could alleviate the adverse effects by having OTA enabled on the HR20. This lack of functionality is insult to injury during weather outages.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.