DBSTalk Forum banner

Should we make this a registration only forum?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 55 72.4%
  • DON'T CARE

Votes: 21 27.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a feel for what the membership thinks about making this a registration only forum. What that means is that no unregistered users can post. Thanks!

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Unfortunately "free" forums seem to attract the lowest common denominator who revel in anonymous hit-and-run tactics. I'm not necessarily advocating a "real name" approach, but, there should be some accountability to participate.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Dont worry Ray, if we ever do move to registration only, users will beable to choose what ever name theyd like.

·
Icon
715 Posts
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Even though I'm not a Marv fan, I'm using his saying. I'm voting twice just like a recent voting in a certain state :) The posts in the D*S f*r*m* site in this very forum should tell you yes. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why wait, do it tonight, right now during the Indians 2nd inning of the Sox game.

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
I don't think it really matters as long as there is something that makes the poster put in a user name other than leaving it blank and getting "Unregistered" as the user name. If that can be changed I say No, if it can't be changed then I say Yes.

How's that for sitting on the fence :)

·
Icon
524 Posts
Originally posted by Ray H
Unfortunately "free" forums seem to attract the lowest common denominator who revel in anonymous hit-and-run tactics. I'm not necessarily advocating a "real name" approach, but, there should be some accountability to participate.
I totally agree, everyone should be required to register, but with the user name of their choice.

Remember, the other forum instituted a real name approach months ago and just look at how bad that site has fallen, although I do agree with some that it is mainly the mods there that have taken it into the gutter.

Frapp ...

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Part of what makes this site unique is that it doesn't requite registration to post. This allows some to browse and participate without the "worry" of being found out. Even if the registration is free, some who may participate do not want to go through the "hassle" of registering before participating. If this site goes to a "registration only" posting, it looses the one thing that I beleive helped it grow as quickly as it did (before Chris broke into Dan's house just to unplug the DBS server in a plot to make everyone from over there post here---errr....sorry, I just had a Rage come over me).

People felt comfortable posting messages registered or no. Once they felt comfortable enough to stay, they registered.

What I would recommend is that it be mandatory for an unregistered poster to have a "Name". Any name and that it not be allowed to be one of the registered user's names.

Yes, unregistered users can take advantage of the situation (as has happened in the past) but that's what the mods are for, right? :) This board has been attacked twice by idiots. I don't know if registration would have prevented that (with the exception of "impersonating" registered users.

Thanks for letting us vote on this. Even though I'm in the minority so far on this issue, I hope the site remains open to those that do not wish to register for whatever reason and that we are adult enough to handle the moron or two that doesn't know a good thing until a mod can remove the offending message.

See ya
Tony

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Hey Tony,

I guess you didnt see what went on here earlier today. It was a mess to clean up, but luckily I got a BIG MOP. :D

And as much trouble as we had this afternoon I voted "Don't care" We got a good staff of Admins here which can take care of things PDQ.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very well written Tony. Only time will tell if we go to registration only. So far the votes are stacked in the "YES" column and if it keeps going that way we will seriously consider it. Right now though, any unregistered spam is dealt with fairly quickly

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I feel that the last time we were attacked, if registartion was required that person wouldnt have spammed us and if he did if wouldnt have been as bad since flood control is activated (and it was 60 secs at EZB, IIRC), but when posting as an unregisted user, flood control is useless. Also, vB doesnot allow unregistered users to take the name of a registered member so that also helps.

G

·
Register.... Why?
Are the opinions and questions of others not valid if not "registered"?
I must acknowledge here that I am within the Echostar organization and more than willing to hear the opinions and concerns of all.
Given that fact.. Why limit information based on becoming a "registered member".
In short... You have a good thing going here, why change it?
The "names" on posts have no impact as to validity.
Do not others control your destiny.

Just my 2 cents.....
Regards

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually we don't have any problems with unregistered user opinions. It's just the unreg users who like to "SPAM & RUN" to try and disrupt any constructive discussions.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,036 Posts
I like bryan's answer. It's hard to follow a thread when there are so many different unregistereds.

But registration here is really painless. When DBSTalk was on EZBoard, I've gotten loans with fewer questions than they asked to register.

·
Legend
199 Posts
Darn.. I didn't even realize I was not logged in on previous post.
SPAM is a problem, but it will not limit progress.
Your success was most likely accomplished by not following the
restrictions placed by others.

Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers

·
Legend in my own mind
552 Posts
This question has only arisen because the other forum has been closed.
All this extra traffic has caused a lot of excitement within the people that run this forum.
I have found this site to be quite refreshing and I know that I will be back (after DBSForums returns) but I am sure that a lot of your new posters will stay loyal to the other forum and only lurk if they have to register.
I think you should wait until DBSForums is back on line and look at how your traffic flows.
Make your decision then.
BTW...I also agree with everything that Tony posted.
Good luck here.:)

Jim

·
Hall Of Fame
1,131 Posts
Originally posted by Unregistered
{snip}
The "names" on posts have no impact as to validity.
{snip}
This may be true, but by having registered names this would have a tendency to foster a feeling of community as I have known, trust and respect TNGTony or Chris Blount (sorry if I've mispelled your name, working off memory here) (names used only as examples), but anyone with the name Unregistered causes me 1) to consider what they said with a grain of salt because I don't know the individula and 2) doesn't foster that feeling of community because I can't direct discussion to a person in particular (as it "attaboy, Tony, that is 100% correct" or "sorry, Ray, but I have to disagree")

Just food for thought...

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
I would like to know what i need to do to NOT be a "lurker":confused: :( :shrug: ,,,it's a term that has negative connotations(sic) to me...and i think i HAVE registered...hmmm...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.