DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember when they came out with a new feature in the show info. where it would indicate that the show is new if it was not a rerun? It would show as new or repeat in that show info screen. Is this for only dishplayers only? Why not on the other receivers if it is dishplayer only?
We could make the unit only record "NEW" shows and anything that says "REPEAT" would not record. An easy solution to this is to put an asterick after the show name for repeats so it knows not to record the show (or to hide the asterik from being visible even but still work). This would only work if it would know to only play by the show title instead of by the time it comes on.

This would solve many problems in that it would only record NEW shows, that it can record the show each time it comes on and at that time it is allotted for instead of the same time each week, and another way it could do it is to do a search for the show and then whatever comes up as NEW without the asterik gets recorded and it automatically does that function each week by itself finding the NEW shows by the search feature. I think it can be done with some experimenting.

Below is my webpage of new ideas for 501PVR receivers. Please give me anymore new ideas that you may have.

·
Icon
643 Posts
It already says "new" on all Dish Network Guides.

Currently, the 501 is not designed to record by program name, it only records in a "VCR-like" way.

It would require writing an entirely new interface to record by name. And, frankly, many of the problems with DishPlayer revolved around its use of name-based recording.

The biggest problem with name-based recording is that the listings services are very unreliable. When I used to use a DishPlayer, it used to miss a lot of recordings, simply because some idiot would put the wrong information into the listings. With many more channels now than "500", there is simply no way that all of the "new" and "repeat" markings are going to be correct, and people will complain when it misses their show.

You are much more likely to get simpler features added to the 501. For example, if enough people ask for slow motion, that would probably happen - it's just the sort of thing that Marketing people like "Now -- with Slow Motion!".

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
It's primitive, but you can create a search with NEW in it and set a recording from that.

As far as Slo-Mo goes, they mentioned during the Tech Chat that they are working on it, but no release date known yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.