DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showtime Networks recently brought Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound to every one of its standard definition and high-definition TV channels throughout all time zones. The result is 32 Dolby Digital 5.1 enabled channels. Since launching the audio format, Showtime has aired more than 190 movies, including theatricals and Showtime Original Pictures and 145 series episodes in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround including "The Chris Isaak Show" and "Queer as Folk."

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)

G

·
D* has been broadcasting all Showtime channels in Dolbie for the last couple of weeks.
Like HBO and Starz most movies are in Dolbie 2.0 not 5.1.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Now if Showtime would just get off their ASS and present some (watchable) HD with all this DD 5.1 I just MIGHT pick them up again.

G

·
Originally posted by Steve Mehs
Showtime Networks recently brought Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound to every one of its standard definition and high-definition TV channels throughout all time zones. The result is 32 Dolby Digital 5.1 enabled channels. Since launching the audio format, Showtime has aired more than 190 movies, including theatricals and Showtime Original Pictures and 145 series episodes in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround including "The Chris Isaak Show" and "Queer as Folk."

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)
Does this include Showtime Networks channels like TMC, TMCX, etc?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know if TMC/X is included in the 32 channels or not but I know neither E* or D* is passing the DD feed, if there is even one, so my guess would be no.

·
Icon/Supporter
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by bobr66
D* has been broadcasting all Showtime channels in Dolbie for the last couple of weeks.
Like HBO and Starz most movies are in Dolbie 2.0 not 5.1.
In the case case of DD 2.0, are you better off switching to PCM out so you can at least get Pro-Logic surround?

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
With Dolby Digital 2.0 I notice that it is handeled by my receiver (Denon 3802) sounding like Pro Logic.

The nice part of Dolby Digital is that it is backwords compatable with all older Dolby Technologies.

·
Welcome to Torchwood
1,602 Posts
My receiver (Yamaha) automatically applies Pro Logic to to DD 2.0. Think of DD 2.0 as the same as PCM.

What drives be bonkers is the stations that send a two channel audio signal as DD 5.1. This I have to intervene with and tell my receiver to pay attention to the analog input instead and do Pro Logic.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My reciever also handles DD2.0 as pro logic, although I have not head much 2.0 sound, most of my stuff is full 5.1

·
Icon/Supporter
1,227 Posts
Thanks for the replies (re: DD 2.0). I'd sware I herd nothing out of the back speakers till I switched to PCM. Perhaps it's just specific to what I was watching - I'll have to play around some more.

I'm using one of the first DD processors ever released ($1500 - ouch). Stand Alone Poineer audio processor, Zoran Chip, originally used with a Laser Disc. Perhaps it just doesn't know any better.

But, I believe I've seen it specifically say Prologic during some DD programming.

·
Icon
844 Posts
A Dolby Digital 2.0 signal can be flagged as 2.0 Stereo or 2.0 Surround. Most receivers, however, treat both signals the same and put them through Pro-Logic processing.

Older receivers from Kenwood (and older stand-alone processors) will differentiate between the two types of Dolby Digital 2.0 (2.0 Stereo will only play out of the left and right while 2.0 Surround will be properly decoded). I've also heard that Sony receivers can be set to differentiate if desired.

Pioneer receivers will Pro-Logic all 2.0 signals if set in "Standard" or "THX" surround mode, but the speaker layout display will change. A 2.0 Stereo stream will just have the lights for L and R lit up, a 2.0 Surround flagged stream will have the L, R, and middle S lights lit up.

-Lyle J.P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.